Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner 371334 J F Joyce. R.G.A.

little bob

Remembering

Gunner 371334 James Frederick Joyce 171 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Died of Wounds 3rd September 1918 aged 21.

Son of Martin Joseph and Emma Carlotta Joyce of Milford Haven. Buried in Barenthal Military Cemetery.

Bob :poppy:

• 8 months later...

Is this a family member of yours? My family and I have planted daffodils on the grave sites of Gunner Joyce and Gunner Howells, from Fishguard, who is buried next to him.

LIZ4

James is not a relative of mine, he is recorded on the Milford Haven War Memorial and I have posted something about all the army lads from the Memorial. I believe that there are still family members living in the town. Do you have a connection with either of the Gunners? It's good to know that two Welsh lads have daffodils near them.

Bob

Good morning, Bob,

I also have no connection. My mother is from Pembroke, and it just struck me that Welsh soldiers at least need daffodils when they are so far from home. I have lived in Veneto for almost three years now. We stumbled across the cemeteries while out in Asiago one day and have returned to Barenthal Cemetery at least twice a year since then. We plant bulbs on 11 Nov and then return to see them flower once the snows melt in late May/early June. I have pictures if I can figure out how to work around the file size restrictions here. You will be glad to hear that the cemeteries around Asiago are beautifully maintained, incredibly peaceful spots. The men in Barenthal receive fairly regular visitors. More than you would imagine given the how remote it is and the state of the roads leading there. They have not been forgotten.

The Asiago area still shows signs of the war if you pay attention. There are a terrifying number of craters that nature obviously had no hand in and remnants of trench and tunnel systems. There is a structure near Barenthal that was apparently used as an aid station. You even come across remains of barbed wire in some places. It is a beautiful part of the world, though, and well worth a visit, especially if you are interested in WWI and this lesser-known front.

I will work on those pictures.

Liz

Liz

You are doing a great job, it's good to know that the lads are not forgotten.

Bob