Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royal flying corp collar badge ?

jwp2007

could anyone tell me is this an original rfc collar badge that has been brooched or is it a sweetheart brooch of the period ? or is it a modern item,

many thanks,

john.

pic1.post-27136-0-92686200-1378202982_thumb.j

pic2.post-27136-0-27969200-1378203062_thumb.j

Looks like an officer's collar badge converted; the smaller kind for the collar of the maternity jacket. The brazing is messy so looks like lugs have been removed and the brooch fitting added later.

John,

Depending on the size of your badge, it could be either a RFC cap badge, or as Staffsyeoman has said, it could also be a RFC., officer's collar badge ( dog ).

I am not sure when RFC. officer collar badges were introduced as on the early Pattern 1912 ' Maternity ' officer SD jackets, there were no collar badges. However, in the attached 1917 dated photograph of Second-Lieutenant Herbert Hardy, he is clearly wearing RFC bronzed collar badges/dogs on his ' Maternity ' jacket.

Regards,

LF

C/o S. Chambers - Uniforms of the British Army in WW1

post-63666-0-29685800-1378211585_thumb.j

many thanks both for your replies, it is indeed a collar badge as it is much smaller than the cap badge,

kind regards,

john.

Hi John,

The collar badge appears to have been gilded and as such was probably worn as a 'sweetheart' broach.

Robert

many thanks robert,

john.

IMHO I think that this always was a sweetheart brooch and not a converted collar. I say this because of the eveness of maufacture from front to rear and in particular the pin fitting. I cant see a trace of the old lugs.

Mark

IMHO I think that this always was a sweetheart brooch and not a converted collar. I say this because of the eveness of maufacture from front to rear and in particular the pin fitting. I cant see a trace of the old lugs.

Mark

thanks mark, i see what you mean as the colour of the pin hinge is same as the badge, i thought the pin fastener looked a bit like a lug that been cut through and a slightly different colour,

cheers,

john.