Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ceramic memorial plaque South Wales Borderers Pte Wm Williams

Jerry B

I picked this up today and having never seen one before I thought maybe a member here has seen one or knows something about them.

It is very well made and I would assume it was made by a good maker such as Minton. It is to Pte. Wm. Williams, SWB, though I again assume that a large number of William Williams's were KIA for this regiment during WWI. It was bought locally to me in West Wales and came from a local collection via a house clearance and local dealer.

Thanks for any help.

post-91897-0-91659400-1378133618_thumb.j

Jerry,

What a great find, being it is ceramic, and although others were probably produced by the maker, as it is fragile ceramic I am not too sure many others would have survived for almost 100 years.

Regards,

LF

WOW, very interesting plaque. I have not seen anything like this before. I like it very much.

CWGC shows 24 entries for William WIlliams of South Wales Borders. However after looking a little closes, you could likely discount 4 as they were actually not William

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

We have a Minton ceramic memorial plaque in memory of Pte Samuel Brown 12393 8th Battalion North Staffs Regiment. Ours is in excellent condition and the family is very proud of the plaque and Sam.

Thanks to all who have posted on this, much appreciated. Big thanks to Ray for showing his example and also the paper version, again, much appreciated.

I can only assume that they were an expensive item in their day as the costs must have been high, even if they were done as a blank pro forma with the individuals names added as a second stage in the production, as the quality is superb.

Hope you don't mind but here's one of ours. Paper, from his home town.

No problem Jules and glad to see it, especially as it is for the RWF.