Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where there's a WILL

Muerrisch

This attempt has been ignored on the Wills thread. Perhaps some kind sould could try to help?

I have just read the D Tel. of yesterday on the subject of soldiers' Wills.

A load of tosh.

Says that soldiers were made to write Wills because the army was worried that otherwise unpaid Mess bills might remain unpaid! Mess?!!!!

I have had a look for the rules, and they are thin indeed.

No mention Wills in either KR 1914 or the Pay Warrant indices.

Soldiers Small book AF B 50. 1903 edition has a section for a Will, and advice on completion, says when engaged in actual warfare a Will may be made without witnesses, or indeed to declare orally in the presence of witnesses. Soldier must be 21 years unless on service. The Will form included is AF B 243

Mobilisation Regs 1914 section 186 requires a Pay Book AB 64 and ID disc to be issued .......... section 192 the Wills other than those made in AB64 to be forwarded to officer i/c records.

Dr Dunn's TWTIK mentions Pay Books, ID discs and Family Allotments but does not mention Will making.

SO A FEW QUESTIONS PLEASE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FORM AB 64 SHOWING WILL SECTION?

can someone please post a Will obtained from these new releases to show form number, headings etc?

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A REGULATION WHEREBY MAKING A WILL WAS MANDATORY?

I did attempt to help on the other thread, but at present Im having trouble converting the PDF into something that I can attach to my post :wacko:

The WW1 will is form; W.O. No.:E/ 419045/1, headed 'Informal Will'.

Hope this is of some help?

Regards,

Sean.

Sean

Ive posted PDFs before, in fact, I have to covert Word documents into PDFs as the Forum will not let me post Word documents.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, here goes

Seems to have worked? Can anyone make any sense of whats written on the last page?

Regards,

Sean.

Edwards Will.PDF

Why start another thread? Mods, please can they be merged?

Roger

This attempt has been ignored on the Wills thread. Perhaps some kind sould could try to help?

I have just read the D Tel. of yesterday on the subject of soldiers' Wills.

A load of tosh.

Says that soldiers were made to write Wills because the army was worried that otherwise unpaid Mess bills might remain unpaid! Mess?!!!!

I have had a look for the rules, and they are thin indeed.

No mention Wills in either KR 1914 or the Pay Warrant indices.

Soldiers Small book AF B 50. 1903 edition has a section for a Will, and advice on completion, says when engaged in actual warfare a Will may be made without witnesses, or indeed to declare orally in the presence of witnesses. Soldier must be 21 years unless on service. The Will form included is AF B 243

Mobilisation Regs 1914 section 186 requires a Pay Book AB 64 and ID disc to be issued .......... section 192 the Wills other than those made in AB64 to be forwarded to officer i/c records.

Dr Dunn's TWTIK mentions Pay Books, ID discs and Family Allotments but does not mention Will making.

SO A FEW QUESTIONS PLEASE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FORM AB 64 SHOWING WILL SECTION?

can someone please post a Will obtained from these new releases to show form number, headings etc?

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A REGULATION WHEREBY MAKING A WILL WAS MANDATORY?

Roger

Roger

Grumpy I posted on the wills thread the same thing about making wills not being mandatory the fact that it received no comment did not incite me to push it further. I have just posted more information on the same thread to help to explain why there are gaps in the wills. I also posted the link that gives explanations of 9 different forms of wills available for use and it has some examples.

Roger I agree the duplication of same subjects running side by side is confusing to say the least. Perhaps Mr Grumpy should have asserted himself in the other thread with the first post he started here and perhaps someone would have noticed but if they don't hey ho as they say.

Roger

Simples!

I was being ignored on the original thread, and this thread has worked, thanks to contributors.

I think he was great in his early years and the interviews he did then would put modern "shouty" interviewers to shame. I think the basis of his success was homework and then more homework. Modern TV simply wouldn't allow the time for a decent in-depth interview nor would the interviewees.

I think he was great in his early years and the interviews he did then would put modern "shouty" interviewers to shame. I think the basis of his success was homework and then more homework. Modern TV simply wouldn't allow the time for a decent in-depth interview nor would the interviewees.

What?

What?

I think he was talking about David Frost.

Juliette (Varretry?)

Rue (?)

(?) en Valois

Oise

Thanks for the help. Looking at it again, it would appear to be two names from the same address? Bit of a mystery.

Regards,

Sean.

Edit: Crepy-en-Valois, well done Mr.Drill :thumbsup: