Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Caudle

stripeyman

I hope that I am not being a lazy researcher but a friend who is getting interested in the Great War does not seem to know anything about his grandfather.

All he knows is that there was a photograph of him in uniform but due to family problems he cannot access it.

So can anyone help please with; Charles Caudle who came from Southport Lancs.

Thank you

Bob Grundy

Hello Bob,

The only Charles Caudle I can find in Southport was born in 1905. Do you know anything else about him?

Sandie

All the Charles Caudle's, of military age for the Great War, who died between 1916 and 2007 on the BMD death Index had a second initial, e.g. Charles E.

Does your friend know when and where his grandfather died? This fact would help as a starting point.

A Charles Thomas Caudle died in Southport in 1975, but he was born 1905 (very probably the Charles Caudle located by Sandie, above, from the 1911 census)

Thank you both for the info. If he was born in 1905 then he was unlikely to be in the Great War. I will speak (interrogate) Neil next week and clarify his Grandfathers history.

There's a William Caudle listed on ancestry address given as 11 Torden Avenue, Stockport. Fathers name Ernest mothers name Ellen Ann. I think the address should be Gorden Avenue looking at the actual document. Has a younger brother Charles S Jonas Caudle

Jon

Looks like a transcription error, which is not unusual.

Enter Charles S. Jonas Caudle in ancestry's version of the 1911 census and it comes up with a said C.S.J. Caudle in the Caudle family, viewing the actual document, at 11, Barratt Street, Southport, Lancs. His name was written rather untidyly in ink and is in fact Charles Thomas Caudle, age 6. The Charles Thomas Caudle referred to above.

Transcription error.