Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry (Harry) Burton Northumberland Fusiliers ?

CarolBrodie

I am trying to trace my Mum's Dad. I have tried everything but find no mention of him anywhere. I understand that he was a despatch rider in the Northumberland Fusiliers but this was second hand so I can't be sure that it's accurate. Harry was a miner in Northumberland before WW1 started so not sure if those skills would have been utilised on the Front. I can't find anything on Ancestry or the Long, Long Trail; I have Googled and searched but to no avail. Harry must have been about 24 when he went to France. I do have a photograph of him in uniform

I'd be very grateful for any pointers in the right direction

In hope and thank you

Carol

There is also a Walter Henry Burton 17/408 Private Northumberland Fusiliers who first landed in France on 20.11.1915. You will know if the Walter is relevant.

There are no Harry in the NF medal cards.

Don't be put off by Henry 47439 NF who also served with Scottish Rifles. This happened for various reasons.

Thank you both very much.

I had seen the Scottish Rifles entry in Ancestry but had dismissed it as it did't seem to add up with the NFs. He didn't have a Walter in his name Why did they move the men around ?

I'm on a bit of a learning curve as I have previously dealt with my own Dad's military history - Arctic Convoys and D Day

Many thanks

Carol

Often a change of Regiment arose from a soldier being withdrawn from his first unit by being wounded or sick. On returning to fitness he could be sent wherever he was needed the most.

Henry Burton born 1891, Newburn, Northumberland?

There is a chance that if he was still serving 1918/19, which he could well have been, as many where, that he appears in

the Absent Voters Register 1918/19 for Newburn. I think a copy is held at Northumberland Archives, Woodhorn.

If he is in it, it should give his number and the unit he is serving with.

Check first before a visit to make sure they have it.

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/

Thank you Peter and Sotonmate I actually have a card for Woodhorn Archives (been house researching too !) so I can pop over there. That's a great tip, I never thought of absent voter lists. I haven't heard anything in the family that he was injured but of course that's not to say he wasn't. I have photos of all my chaps but they are in the office so will try and post those on Monday.

Most grateful and thank you again

Carol