Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres on Armistice Day

Matt Dixon

I shall be in Ypres for Armistice Day this year. I know that places under the Menin Gate are ticket only. Ian McHenry told me there is a small area for no ticket holders, but this is usually full from 9am onwards.

Where else would it be possible to go to for a service at 11am that is not ticket only? Is there anything going on at either Hill 60 or Tyne Cot for example?

Thanks if you can offer any advice

Matt,

On the first of two Armistice Day ceremonies I did at the Menin Gate the family and I stood on the bridge over the moat. Not under the Gate but just outside of it and when I stood on the bridge's rail I had as good a view as anyone jammed under the gate. It also happened that the wind was blowing in our direction and when they dumped the poppy petals through the sky light a large amount ended up blowing out past us and into the moat. It was a most wonderful experience to see.

Jon

P.S. Two years latter, on my second visit, I was with Iain McHenry and we were fortunate enough to have a place under the gate right beside one of the veterans, if I remember correctly it was Author Helstrop (forgive my misspelling).

there will be a special service at Passchendaele... ;)