Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Lost London Memorials and Rolls Of Honour"?

johnboy

If this in the wrong Forum could the Mods relocate it please.

I wondered if any memorials had been lost due to road widening building etc and if any had been removed and put in storage.

Copy of email I sent to Mayor of London

As you are aware, the 100th anniversary of ww1 is next year.
Can you tell me if you have 'inherited' from previous London Authorities any Memorials or rolls of Honour?
I wondered if any are in storage after demolition of buildings council buildings, town halls
etc.
When buildings in London are refurbed/ rebuilt and Memorials are known to be there, what steps are taken to ensure that they are saved?

Thank you for your email.The Greater London Authority holds two

memorial books. We have inherited the London County Council Roll of Honour for

Members and officers who lost their lives on active service in WWII. In

2007 the GLA commissioned a Roll of Honour recording the Members and officers of

the London County Council who lost their lives on active service in WWI, this

book replicates the names inscribed on the original LCC memorial in County Hall.

The Mayor's London Plan contains planning policies designed to offer

protection to memorials, which can be found in chapter 7 of the plan.

"http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/LP2011%20Chapter%207.pdf"

If any one has the time could they let me know if my questions have been answered?!!

I can't suggest any specific 'lost' memorials but going by what I've not found elsewhere there might be Methodist chapels in London which have closed and their memorials/rolls of honour gone missing.

'The Methodist Church in Britain' has the following advice for churches that are earmarked for closure: -

When a chapel closes one of the difficulties facing the trustees is what to do with memorials. We generally advise that Managing Trustees contact other churches in their area to see if they will take them. Some parish churches have been accommodating in the past and have housed memorials taken from Methodist churches. The problem is compounded when there is a war memorial. If your chapel is closing and you have a war memorial then Trustees should contact the War Memorials Trust, the Imperial War Museum or the Royal British Legion for advice.

War Memorials Trust

42a Buckingham Palace Road

London SW1W 0RE

Tel 0300 123 0764

Fax 0300 123 0765

Email info@warmemorials.org

The Royal British Legion

199 Borough High Street

London SE1 1AA

Tel 020 3207 2100

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/aboutus/

contact-us/contact-us-form/generalenquiries/

legionline

IWM London

Lambeth Road

London SE1 6HZ

Tel 020 7416 5320

Fax 020 7416 5374

Email mail@iwm.org.uk

Try various utility company's water board and such like Thames Water I raised this with a project manager with Thames as I witnessed a memorial laying on the floor of a control room at Teddington

I have no specific memorials in mind. I just wanted to know if GLA had any'lying' around from demolished buildings, town halls etc. They have done Rolls of Honour for their staff and officers, somewhat late. What happens if a small street memorial is hit by a car and severely damaged? Were any destroyed during the Blitz?

I still did not get a difinitive answer. No mention of any in storage and no real policy for those in buildings that maybe demolished or totally gutted and refurbed.

Good to see churches seem to take it all more seriously.

Good to see churches seem to take it all more seriously.

Churches might be but some hospitals don't.

I think it depends on the church. The main one in my town has the memorial hidden by flags and furniture, and could do with some restoration (the names are painted on to wood)

Andrewr

I think it depends on the church. The main one in my town has the memorial hidden by flags and furniture, and could do with some restoration (the names are painted on to wood)

Andrewr

So the vicar and church wardens are probably the ones who will take responsibility. A lot easier than four or 5 committees at the GLA.

Why would the church you mention hide the memorial? At least it is still there, but for how long.

I suppose that over time relatives have moved away and some families may have died out or have no interest. Maybe forum members should have a word?