Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History & Memoir 33rd Bn MGC

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have just acquired an original copy of the 'History & Memoir of the 33rd Bn Machine Gun Corps' published in 1919.

Happy to do any look ups as always.

Ian

:rolleyes:

Good choice, whatever... you probably know the book was written by Graham Seton Hutchison who served with the MGC units in this division? Hutchie wrote some great books; one of his finest pieces of writing is about the death of the 'the boy' in the Quarry at Bazentin... he records that for the first time one of his men addressed him directly by his nickname 'Hutchie'... the boy asked him if he would be alright as he passed away in Hutchie's arms... a magical piece of writing. Hutchison was a true soldiers' soldier... a man anyone would have been proud to serve with. I once had the son of one of his men on one of my tours; the family still cherished the letter Hutchie had sent home when he was killed.

Sorry... rambling... :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
I have just acquired an original copy of the 'History & Memoir of the 33rd Bn Machine Gun Corps' published in 1919.

Ian

:rolleyes:

Hi Ian, any chance you can do a look up for

Pte 42894 Samuel Morgan Machine Gun Corp

not sure how all the Btn's work but I think he might have been in the 3rd Btn

Many thanx

Michael Lindsay

Ian

You lucky so and so, congratulations, I'm a tad jealous I think.... ;)

Cheers,

michael

Got a couple myself :D

Steve

A couple as in copies of?

Gimme! :lol:

Michael

:rolleyes: Want to get rid of one copy?

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Ian,

Would appreciate some info, if possible. One of my survivors was a Walter Searle, whose records exist, who joined up in 1915, initially with the Leicesters. He transferred to the MGC with a memorable number 12345, and travelled to the BEF on 25th-26th April 16, and is shown with 100 Coy. Was this the whole unit going out, or was he a reinforcement? He then spent the rest of his MGC career with 100 Coy. He was promoted L/Sgt on 16th July 1916, presumably as a result of casualties during High Wood activities and Sgt on 4th November 1916. Can you let me know what the company was doing around these dates, and whether the level of casualties is mentioned. He was absent from the unit between 20th December 1916 and 4th May 1917, due to sickness and family bereavement, and also between 30th August and 28th December 1917, due to an injury sustained at the MGC Depot whilst on a course. He was finally invalided home after being gassed on 20th March 1918, and I would appreciate any info about the unit at that time. He finished the war in the Labour Corps.

Thanks very much,

Dave