Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Divisional Theatre Company Tour

Warwick

In Warwick's post #5 he quotes from Lt Oldham's letter home about chasing the Bulgars:

'29th September 1918 – DO writes from Serbia, chasing the retreating Bulgars. DO writes “and now my Chocolate Soldier and Ann Companies are scattered to the four winds of heaven – many of them wounded and killed I’m afraid. Poor old Sampson (Sammy) is missing believed killed”.'

After failing to dislodge the Bulgarians in the second battle of Doiran.......

On the 21st September reports come in from the RAF that the Bulgarians are in retreat. On the ground patrols find the Bulgarian trenches empty. On the 22nd General Milne prepares to advance. On the 23rd the 9th East Lancs move through the now deserted front lines to Kara Ogular a village near the north west corner of Lake Doiran. The next day they move to Hill 595, in the hills approximately 7km north of Lake Doiran, and bivouac there. On the 25th the battalion receive orders to move to the Belasica Mountains north east of lake doiran, on the road north east from hill 595 they come under heavy shell fire and are forced to retreat back to Hill 595, once again there are casualties, 3 other ranks are killed, 2 officers and 26 other ranks are wounded and 1 OR dies of wounds. On the 27th the battalion moves to Speckled Hill near the north east shore of Lake Doiran and on the 30th they are informed that hostilities with Bulgaria will cease at midday.

If anyone would like copies of the 9EL war diary pages for September 1918, if you PM me with your email address I will send copies.

There is a Second Lieutenant T.F. Sampson of the Cheshire regiment commemorated on the Doiran Memorial, no grave. Could this be poor old Sampson (Sammy).

CWGC

Mark (Gardenerbill) - Thank you so much for your input - I have just managed to to dig out a letter from the 19th January 1919 that Derek wrote to his aunt and it ties in nicely...

On the day he wrote the letter, he had accompannied Lt J. Spyer (musical director) in a visit to the old front line...

"Speyer insisted on dragging me up to the old front line - it is only and hour and a halfs walk. I've just returned. To think on Sept 19th I was in an absolute hell up there, at 5:15 in the morning just as dawn came, ??? one could possibly see coming out alive - and two hours ago flocks of sheep grazed contentedly on grounds we'd foulght over and lost heavily over - with funny old greek shepherds with their black skirt coats watching on and saying "fine day johnny" as one wondered up those slopes.

Oh I saw the imposibility of our old positions today. We were looked down on from every side by those wonderful mountains, Grand Couronne, and the Pip Ridge, with beautiful lake Dorian just on the right of them.

It all looked glorious today, but we've had our bad time with those dammed old hills all the same. But it is a wonderful country and it holds one somehow. I know I shall miss it - sometimes - only sometimes"

I have attached the quoted extract...

Many thanks again

Warwick

post-93893-0-54621700-1427656417_thumb.j

There is a Second Lieutenant T.F. Sampson of the Cheshire regiment commemorated on the Doiran Memorial, no grave. Could this be poor old Sampson (Sammy).

CWGC

Martina's cast list for the Chocolate Soldier confirms that the role of Mascha was played by the same T.F. Sampson so highly likely.

Thanks both,

regards

Warwick

Warwick,

For completeness here is the entry for the 7th September 1917 when Lieutenant Oldham joined the battalion:

post-91681-0-64479900-1427739558_thumb.j

And the final entry 22nd January 1919:

post-91681-0-76326000-1427739638_thumb.j

Sepoy,

In the original YMCA thread you posted 2 group photographs (posts #18 and #19), are these the 22nd Division Theatre group, only the first one looks like a battalion officer group?