Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/1st Hertfordshires War Diary

Clive Harris

I have a complete copy of the 1st/1st Hertfords War Diary, it is a typed version that came from Battalion HQ, the county records office had a couple of copies and this is a spare. There was a further placed at Kew, Its very detailed and contains OR awards and Ofiicer casualties in full. Contact me if you require any further

• 1 year later...
Guest Steve Seaman

Hi Clive,

Could you do a look up for me ? I'm interested in Cpl 1793 Herbert William BRAY of the 1st Btn Herts who died of wounds on the 21/6/16 .He is buried in Aire Communal Cemetary Pas de Calais.

many thanks

Steve

Hi Clive,

I wondered if the diary describes what happened on 31st July 1917 to the 1/1st Herts on the opening of 3rd Ypres?

My Great Uncle (Pte William Leslie Jerram) was killed that day, and I know a bit about the terrible weather and the guns getting bogged down etc, but nothing specific to the Herts.

Many thanks

Hi MaryFM

The 1/1 Herts War Diary is rather light on detail - all the officers (all 20) who went over the top were killed, wounded or missing, so there was no eyewitness to record the details at the time. The diary also states that 459 other ranks became casualties (KW&M).

There is a moving account by CQMS Gordon Fisher in Lyn Macdonald's Passchendale. There are also some eyewitness accounts from officers who were wounded or POW in the County Record Office at Hertford.

I have given a talk on this event to several WFA branches. My great uncle, Reggie Secretan (see my signature) was killed that day, and I have worked out where he was killed to within about 50 yards. The spot is mentioned on this thread.

Charles

(Herts born & bred)

• 3 months later...
Guest gen_wizard

Hi Clive,

I wonder if you can help me on something. I am researching 2 brothers that were killed and they were both 1st Btn Herts men. Here are their details.

NEWBERRY, MAURICE ARTHUR

Initials: M A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Hertfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/09/1917

Service No: 266936

Additional information: Son of George and Annie Newberry, of Meadowleade, Stevenage, Herts; husband of Florence E. Newberry, of 71, North Crofts, Nantwich, Cheshire. His brother Bertram Robert also fell.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XIX. B. 8.

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

NEWBERRY, BERTRAM ROBERT

Initials: B R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Hertfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 16/07/1916

Service No: 1788

Additional information: Son of George and Annie Mildred Newberry, of Meadow Lead, Stevenage, Herts. His brother Maurice Arthur also fell.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. F. 95.

Cemetery: BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

Can you tell me what the Battalion was doing on those dates and if there are any mention of these guys in the diaries please.

Many thanks for any help that you can give me.

Mike

• 3 months later...