Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shrapnel balls

Khaki

Is it possible to look at undamaged shrapnel and determine whether it is German/British or other nationality? Is size ,shape or weight a factor? Photographs would be appreciated for comparisons.

thanks

khaki

Not sure but I think material may be a clue. Shrapnel balls were lead hardened with antimony but I believe the proportions of lead/antimony varied as the main source of antimony was the USA and by the end of 1915 German stockpiles were diminishing. I've seen a remark that in general Germany tended to replace antimony with zinc (of which they had more than adequate supplies) as a lead hardening component. Not sure if you'd be able to tell just by looking though

Thanks Centurion,

I tried to compare antimony to zinc to perhaps determine which if either would show the greatest propensity for oxidation. The thought being that perhaps one or the other would more likely show white oxidation (as some old ammunition does) but what I read was inconclusive.

regards

khaki

I think the white oxidisation is with the lead. Lead rot is the bane of the serious toy soldier collector. There was once a maker of collector's quality model soldiers who started shorting the tin in his "pewter" so it wasn't really pewter (he just charged as if it was) and after 10 - 15 years his figures started showing the same (which if you'd paid a lot for one was a bit of a downer)

British ball approx. 12mm Dia. (lead), German ball approx. 14mm Dia. (steel).

Regards,

Sean.

British ball approx. 12mm Dia. (lead), German ball approx. 14mm Dia. (steel).

Regards,

Sean.

Not all German ones were steel - depends on what period of the war.

Not all German ones were steel - depends on what period of the war.

Cheers Mr C. Do you know if the size remained the same, 14mm Dia.?

Weight would probably be a better clue, UK bullets were n per pound, I assume GE were per kg, but I've no idea on the accuracy of bullet manufacture. Pre-1914 Bethall states in one of his books that Krupp heavy long range Hows used 16 per lb, but I assume he's done a simplified conversion!

Ortner's book has illustrations of shrapnel filled shells in Austro-Hungarian service that are both balls and cubes. I think the latter was a Krupp design.

and a magnet...............

Bruce

Thanks for the reminder Bruce, I just hope no ball bearings are lurking amongst the others, I will have to rely on the measurements, although I would think that BB's would have a more of a 'polished shiny steel finish. What do you think?

regards

khaki