Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A shell case and a few bullets

assafx

Hello,

I found this Shell cartridge in one of my best friends house, the engraving was made by his great grandfather but the more interesting thing is,

that it seems to be a 77mm German/Turkish shell case:

As usual i need help to ID these items.

1:

i-327thZr-L.jpg

2:

i-RS6bbGC-L.jpg

the problem with the bullets is that this site saw fighting both in 1917, 1948 and 1967.

the most intense fighting was in 1917.

3:

i-SnHHB2V-L.jpg

4: i can't tell if the upper two are 7.92 mm or 7.62 from 1967.

i-vGJ6SBj-L.jpg

Thank You

Assaf

I think the shell case was made by Rheinische Metallwarren und Maschinenfabrik (Rheinmetall) of Dusseldorf in 1915.

The primer was manufactured by Krupp, and the calibre does appear to be 77mm. So in all respects a German shell.

Cheers, S>S

Shell Case, please S>S!

Assaf - No.3 is a .303 inch bullet. Note the left hand rifling

The top two bullets in No.4 appear to be WWI German. They are rusted so had steel envelopes and are also flat based. 7.62mm Nato normally have gilding metal (copper alloy) envelopes and are boat tailed. The lower one is a .303 but it appears to have no rifling marks.

Regards

TonyE

Thank You Guys,

As usual, are there any written books or trusted sources to learn about shell case markings?

i have a few more shell cases but the owner cleaned them poorly and he won't let me clean it by myself.

now i'm wondering if to post them here or not.

Regarding the bullets, i had a feeling that the upper two (on #4) are German and it's good to confirm it.

i was sure that the lower one (same photo) was fired because of the impact mark on the middle of it. i forgot completely to check for rifling marks.

Assaf

i forgot to ask.

what is the meaning of the number 12 on the primer?

Shell Case, please S>S!

What.!! Is that all you've got.? ... I really think I am doing quite well if that's all you can come up with to criticise.! :hypocrite:

And for those with failing eyesight, please note post #2, paragraph 1, line 1 ... "I think the shell case was made ... :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S