Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small Artillery rounds, identification

mrcjgscott

Hello all,

I picked these up earlier this week, but am baffled as to what type they are.

I have hunted around, but can find no clue. They are exactly five inches in length, and due to the pointed lead projectile, I wonder if they are even earlier than WW1?

Any information, or pointers as to where to find out, would be most gratefully received!!

Kind regards,

Chris

The markings...

post-36443-0-04413000-1376668896_thumb.j

post-36443-0-71984300-1376669079_thumb.j

It might help more if you said what the calibre was - looking at the photo and trying to measure I think they are under 1 inch in calibre and not really artillery rounds.

1" Nordenfelt?

Dear Centurion,

Many thanks for your reply.

The width of the projectile is just over one inch.

A thousand apologies for misusing the term "artillery". I used that word, as I did not think they were for a hand held firearm. Infact, I do not have a clue what they are for, hence my post.

Many thanks Gareth,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, many thanks indeed!!

My pleasure. It was Centurion's assessment of the calibre being around 1 inch that pointed me in the right dirction.

Yes, they are "Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Cordite Mark I", having been reloaded from what were originally "Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Mark IV (M)", which was loaded with black powder.

The Cordite Mark I was introduced in June 1913 and served throughout the war until the introduction of the Mark II with an improved electric primer in the late 1920s.It had a charge of 160 grains of Size 3 cordite and a velocity of 1080 fps at 240 feet from the muzzle.

Electric primed Aiming Rifle rounds were made for use with naval guns and some coastal artillery guns which had electric ignition. Those designed to be used by the army used percussion primers to match the ignition system of the guns.

There were two manufacturers of electric primers for the Aimimg Rifle rounds, the Morris Patent Tube Company and Kings Norton Metals Co. The rounds were marked "M" or "KN" depending on the type of primer fitted.

The original headstamp has been barred out and the new "I C" added, plus the dot to indicate a reload.

Regards

TonyE

Many thanks indeed Tony,

A very concise explanation!! Always a pleasure to read a post from somebody passionate and knowledgeable in their subject.

Kind regards,

Chris