Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Revolver Holsters

Khaki

The MkVI Webley arrived on the scene I think 1915, I don't know much about production figures but I presume that by 1916 large quantities were being produced. Prior to that the earlier Marks dominated with shorter barrels. Allowing for Webley Greens, Colt & S&W and some Spansh top breaks why is there very few full flap holsters seen for sale with a shorter barrel length. The short barrel Webley's continued on in service until the end of the war, what happened to the holsters??

curious

khaki

I think that full flap holsters were usually the equipment of commissioned ranks who originally purchased their revolvers with the rest of their kit. They normally went for Wilkinson Webleys and similar revolvers as you say. Certainly Mk IV and Mk Vs certainly seem to be carried more often by O/Rs in open top cases, but by 1915 the Mk VI was in full production. It was obviously decided that the service holster should be long enough to cope with both barreI lengths. In the meantime a program was put in hand in March 1915 to lengthen the holsters already in service by sewing in an extension. As an aside I have a Patt' 14 holster where the last couple of inches is creased and crumpled because it has had one of these short-barrelled Marks in it. - No doubt someone on the forum will be able to post the definitive answer. - SW