Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From Deptford to the Somme

johnboy

• 4 months later...

With Horse Racing History being your interest you might be interested in the following:-

My Maternal Family Manser were from Deptford - Recent Topic William Manser R.E. ex Northumberland Fusilier

I digress - Neighbours in Speedwell Street of my Mother as a child were the Crouch Family - one of who's sons became a Jockey and was known locally as the "King's Jockey" He was killed in an air crash late 1930s en route from Croydon to the North for a race meeting. The Aircraft was a De Havilland Dragon/Dragon Rapide the crew of two were also killed - I think this shows his status at that time. Unfortunately he was about to be married to his Trainer's daughter. He is buried in Epsom Cemetery with a monument apparently.

I have on computer a File with the details that I discovered - The only other record I found was a Cigarette Card Player's or Wills from Memory in The Royal Colours! Have not yet found a Classic Winner that he rode but he obviously must have been good!

Have not got detail's to hand - this was just meant to be an early morning browse!

I am a new member and am just seeing how I get on - this came about from seeing above Manser reference on Google I - As Deptford in the first half of the Century was a close community and Geographically small might try in with Family Research do a WW1/WW2 Military project Street by Street!!!

If you are interested in the Jockey let me know and I will try to find details

Finally the first half of my user name Airborne is because I was born Derby Week 1946 and A

With Horse Racing History being your interest you might be interested in the following:-

My Maternal Family Manser were from Deptford - Recent Topic William Manser R.E. ex Northumberland Fusilier

I digress - Neighbours in Speedwell Street of my Mother as a child were the Crouch Family - one of who's sons became a Jockey and was known locally as the "King's Jockey" He was killed in an air crash late 1930s en route from Croydon to the North for a race meeting. The Aircraft was a De Havilland Dragon/Dragon Rapide the crew of two were also killed - I think this shows his status at that time. Unfortunately he was about to be married to his Trainer's daughter. He is buried in Epsom Cemetery with a monument apparently.

I have on computer a File with the details that I discovered - The only other record I found was a Cigarette Card Player's or Wills from Memory in The Royal Colours! Have not yet found a Classic Winner that he rode but he obviously must have been good!

Have not got detail's to hand - this was just meant to be an early morning browse!

I am a new member and am just seeing how I get on - this came about from seeing above Manser reference on Google I - As Deptford in the first half of the Century was a close community and Geographically small might try in with Family Research do a WW1/WW2 Military project Street by Street!!!

Finally the first half of my user name Airborne is because I was born Derby Week 1946 and A

Obviously Too Early in the morning for this - just sent above twice!

To continue

Airborne was the Winner - Allegedly at Very Good Odds - 40-1 has been mentioned - seems unlikely!

I think anyone with Para connections did Very Very Well!!!

John Marshall

Some Extra details

From Free BMD/FreeREG County Kent Place Deptford Church St Paul RegisterNumber 650 DateOfBirth 30-Aug-15 BaptismDate 15-Sep-15 Forename John Lionel Sex M FatherForename Walter Thomas MotherForename Blanche FatherSurname CROUCH MotherSurname Abode Speedwell Street FatherOccupation Painter Notes FileNumber 31018 John Lionel CROUCH Date of Death 20.06.1939 Age at Death 24 From Airliner Crashes Crash Site Forest-in-Teesdale Durham Aircraft Detaiks G-AEYE D.H.89A Dragon Rapide C/n. 6355 Owner L. H. Falk