Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

vicrus

My grandfather, William Lindley, Cpl. 164754 1/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry, 5th Mounted Brigade spent most of his war in the desert.

He was mentioned by Col Cheape in his dispatch of 21st April, 1917 after the action at Wadi Baha during the second battle of Gaza.

"L/Corp. W. Lindley for great gallantry and devotion to duty while in command of a Hotchkiss gun on April 19th. During the counter-attack by the Turks after having two of his team wounded he carried on by himself greatly assisting the Squadron to retain its position."

Here are some photographs I found, I think that most of them were taken in October-November 1917......

post-100963-0-29253800-1376142120_thumb.

"The Brigade remained at Gamli until October 27th, occupied all the time in outpost and patrol duty.

On the 8th some enemy planes visited the camp, and one was brought down by the guns of the Warwicks near the Wadi,

the pilot (a German) being taken prisoner." H.A. Adderley, The Warwickshire Yeomanry in the Great War

post-100963-0-37759800-1376145040_thumb.

A captured enemy position

post-100963-0-15879700-1376145066_thumb.

Dead bodies and empty shells

post-100963-0-27404100-1376145437_thumb.

Prisoners - could these be German or Austrian gunners?

"In the centre the Mounted Troops did fine work, especially in a charge by the Warwick and Worcester Yeomanry on the 8th, and actually rode over the Turkish rearguard, sabring German and Austrian gunners at their guns, and taking some hundreds of prisoners and the guns." H.A. Adderley, The Warwickshire Yeomanry in the Great War

There are no more KBs available so I'll post the other photos in a later post - these are 54KB on average; is there a better way of posting a collection of photographs and documents?

"Austrian" gunners in Palestine appear to have been Hungarian but I guess all KuK troops got called Austrian regardless. I think the men in your excellent photos are German though

Thanks for posting these images – the last three record events following the Charge at Huj on 8th November 1917. We have a fair number of these same images amongst photos donated to the Museum by Warwickshire Yeoman or their families. Our Museum and Archives remain closed whilst the building it occupies continues to be the subject of major renovations.

is there a better way of posting a collection of photographs and documents?

Vicrus,

I usually post my pictures, maps, etc, using links to Photobucket

................................................................................................

Centurion,

What a marvellous illustration of pre-war mitteleuropa is provided by the KuK artillery in Palestine. As you say, nominally Austrian according to all the usual sources, but in fact from Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

See http://riowang.blogs...ro-of-gaza.html

quote:

...the Truszkowskis were a noble Polish family. This fact is also confirmed by the files of the War Archives that call him “Wladislaus Anton Ritter von Truszkowski”. We learn from the brief records of the archive files that he started his military career in the k.u.k. Army at the age of 19, served in various artillery units and rose in the military ranks until in 1913 he became a captain at the age of 37. In the spring of 1916 he was sent to Palestine as the commandant of the 2nd Mountain Howitzer Battery of the 6th Mountain Artillery Regiment of Kassa (today Košice, Slovakia). As the military district of Kassa was entirely in Hungary, the battery under the command of Captain Truszkowski consisted mostly of ethnic Hungarians.

The battery made up, together with the 1st Mountain Howitzer Battery of the 4th Mountain Artillery Regiment of Budapest, the predominantly Hungarian “Marno Mountain Howitzer Division” – “k.u.k. Gebirgshaubitzdivision von Marno” – which was named after the chief commandant of the division, Major Adolf Marno von Eichenhorst.”

I really enjoyed looking at those photos as my Grandfather was in the RAOC during the Sinai and Palestine Campaigns. Excellent photographs and thank you for posting.

Anne

I really enjoyed looking at those photos as my Grandfather was in the RAOC during the Sinai and Palestine Campaigns. Excellent photographs and thank you for posting.

Anne

Yes I had a great uncle in the Western Desert and the Palestine campaigns (with the Glamorganshire Yeomanry although attached to the ICC for a while) Palestine 1917 by Robert Wilson - another yeomanry officer is worth a read

Here are some more of Granddad's photos:

post-100963-0-07693700-1376221079_thumb.

post-100963-0-35496500-1376221095_thumb.

post-100963-0-57291500-1376221109_thumb.

Does anyone know where this is? I've often wondered.

post-100963-0-94423800-1376221396_thumb.

I think that this is a photo of the hills at El Saris on the way to Jerusalem.

Could that be the station at Deir al-Balah? It was used as a casualty evacuation point.

The Mosque is the one in Beersheba (see also http://memory.loc.go...3709/00137v.jpg )

and I think that the first one is also of Beersheba with the same mosque on the left.

The third picture may be Beersheba too, but I cannot place the building for the moment. It may be one of those shown in the first picture (centre or right) but taken from another angle.*

* edit to add: I think that this building was originally a school in Beersheba and that it is the one on the right in the first picture (but it's hard to tell)

Edited by michaeldr

You can pick out the mosque and the other two buildings in this 1917 German aerial

Bills.jpg

The third of your pictures may well be the building on the right

(The aerial photograph is from the collection of Fritz Groll [squadron 300] deposited by B. Z. Kedar with the the Jewish National and University Library, Jerusalem)

The mosque certainly matches the one in this LoC photo but the other in photo one does not unless someone has moved some buildings and also shifted the dome on that mosque from one side to the other!

post-9885-0-90409500-1376226206_thumb.jp

Thank you Michael, yes I was wondering if it was Beersheba, I remember my Grandfather talking about it's capture. I also think that it is the same building in both photos and..........

I think it might be still there...........

Government House taken in 1997

post-100963-0-56374400-1376226423_thumb.

Centurion & Vicrus

Of the four principle buildings seen in the German aerial photograph from 1917

the two seen on the Library of Congress (USA) shot which Centurion reproduce

are those on the left hand side

The building which Vicrus shows above, is that on the left beside the mosque

It is not the one seen as the third in post No. 7; it has a quite different façade .

To compare, please see my picture of this same building

BeershevaNegevmuseum.jpg

edit to add: this post 'crossed' with that of Centurion above

Edited by michaeldr

Here it is again...

post-100963-0-01348300-1376227828_thumb.

I also came across this while researching....

post-100963-0-30896800-1376228007_thumb.

It must be post 1949 since Beersheba is now in Israel, but still it's nice to know that it's not forgotton.

I have often wondered if there are any memorials to the men who fought and died in this theatre of war or if there are any CWGC sites in the Middle East.

Well the Serai was the Government House (Palace) of 1916 - whether it was the same Government House ...?

Centurion,

re your No.13 above

Please compare the columns and the pediments of the two buildings

We are looking for a building with round columns and what appears to be a quatrefoil in the centre of the pediment

................................................................................................

Centurion,

What a marvellous illustration of pre-war mitteleuropa is provided by the KuK artillery in Palestine. As you say, nominally Austrian according to all the usual sources, but in fact from Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

See http://riowang.blogs...ro-of-gaza.html

quote:

...the Truszkowskis were a noble Polish family. This fact is also confirmed by the files of the War Archives that call him “Wladislaus Anton Ritter von Truszkowski”. We learn from the brief records of the archive files that he started his military career in the k.u.k. Army at the age of 19, served in various artillery units and rose in the military ranks until in 1913 he became a captain at the age of 37. In the spring of 1916 he was sent to Palestine as the commandant of the 2nd Mountain Howitzer Battery of the 6th Mountain Artillery Regiment of Kassa (today Košice, Slovakia). As the military district of Kassa was entirely in Hungary, the battery under the command of Captain Truszkowski consisted mostly of ethnic Hungarians.

The battery made up, together with the 1st Mountain Howitzer Battery of the 4th Mountain Artillery Regiment of Budapest, the predominantly Hungarian “Marno Mountain Howitzer Division” – “k.u.k. Gebirgshaubitzdivision von Marno” – which was named after the chief commandant of the division, Major Adolf Marno von Eichenhorst.”

Captain Wladislaus Anton Ritter von Truszkowsk

post-9885-0-80405700-1376231393_thumb.jp

I've seen an Australian site that has this captioned as Australian Artillery Commander enters Jerusalem - strewth

Yes I had a great uncle in the Western Desert and the Palestine campaigns (with the Glamorganshire Yeomanry although attached to the ICC for a while) Palestine 1917 by Robert Wilson - another yeomanry officer is worth a read

Many thanks General "C" - I hadn't heard of this and see it is on Amazon for a mere £4.42 used or around £12 new. I will order (through the GWF of course).

Anne

• 2 months later...

We are looking for a building with round columns and what appears to be a quatrefoil in the centre of the pediment

The building in the third photograph of post No.7, as seen in the Great War

e7b1df56-4308-4e93-a42a-ec7b79537e42_zps

and that same building, as seen earlier this week

5b0365b3-3401-4fbe-bff2-00a25de6b438_zps

Today it forms part of the new Carasso Science Park: see http://www.rashi-foundation.org.il/english/product.aspx?Product=59 and note

Most of the structures will be beneath ground level in order to create an urban plaza, and to avoid overshadowing the park's central landmark: a superb building from the Ottoman era that will be restored to serve as a central exhibition area.

This building is the one which appears on the right hand edge of the photograph in post No.10

You can pick out the mosque and the other two buildings in this 1917 German aerial

Bills.jpg

The third of your pictures may well be the building on the right

(The aerial photograph is from the collection of Fritz Groll [squadron 300] deposited by B. Z. Kedar with the the Jewish National and University Library, Jerusalem)

regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Captain Wladislaus Anton Ritter von Truszkowsk

attachicon.gif00083v.jpg

I've seen an Australian site that has this captioned as Australian Artillery Commander enters Jerusalem - strewth

Thank you for the excellent pic. However it does not show Captain Truszkowski, but the commandant of the Division, Major Adolf Marno von Eichenhorst. He is the man with the white tropical hat.

Regards,

György