Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this revolver?

Mr Onion

All I know about it is that it was collected from the Somme Battlefield. So (presumably) WW1 but beyond that I know nothing.

screenshot_179.jpg

image upload

screenshot_178.jpg

image upload

screenshot_177.jpg

image upload

It has been suggested that it is a Webley Bulldog, which I think (to my untrained eye) it does look like, but is it likely that it would be at the Somme?

TIA

Looks like a folding trigger model in which case it could be a Belgian copy of the Bulldog. Can we have a pic of the other side as well please ?

certainly looks like a Bulldog and as allready stated officers could have a private purchase pistol,so very possible it was used where found at the Somme.Great find by the way, is it loaded...

My bet would be a Belgian copy with folding trigger as already mentioned.

Note the unfluted cylinder compared to the Webley.

Regards

TonyE

Dig a bit more digging and it looks like a Belgian copy from about 1880 in .32 calibre. They did sell a few to Germany, these tend to have a safety lever on the left side.

Here`s one in fairly good nick as a comparison.

32_1880.jpg

Agree, a probable Belgian revolver, had one at one time, from memory the top strap was marked "The Bulldog", If found on the Somme could have been lost by any one of the participants including Germany.

khaki

Many thanks all.

@ GarryWeston All chambers are empty.

Photos of the other side as requested, both with and without flash

The top of the barrel is flattened along its whole length (well, as far as the rust allows me to see) It is far too rusty to make out any markings.

screenshot_3.png

image hosting

screenshot_4.png

Apart from a brand name, such as The Bulldog on the top strap etc., on Belgian models the only markings are usually liege proof marks such as ELG within a circle and others depending on the age of the weapon. Considering the condition of the weapon it would be unlikely that they would have survived to the point that they could be seen. None of that really matters, as it is an interesting curio found on a battlefield.

khaki

ps it would look nice framed over a trench map (copy) showing where it was found.

(k)

So Belgian it is. Many thanks.

Its going in a frame (once I have made the 'back box' I hadn't thought about a map showing its location. Good suggestion (that may happen later)

Be aware that if you are in the UK that this is stil technically a Section 5 firearm and its value is a mandatory five years!

I accept that the likelihood of being prosecuted may be remote, but....

Regards

TonyE

Be aware that if you are in the UK that this is stil technically a Section 5 firearm and its value is a mandatory five years!

Regards

TonyE

Depending on calibre?

True if an obsolete calibre it may be Section 59(?).but most of those Belgian pistols were in regular calibres.

Regards

TonyE

True if an obsolete calibre it may be Section 59(?).but most of those Belgian pistols were in regular calibres.

Regards

TonyE

I've seen and handled bucket loads of them and whilst the majority were .22rf, .320 revolver certainly seemed a close second. I have not seen many in larger calibres, with folding triggers.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of the folding trigger? Other than it requiring a slightly smaller holster I cant see any benefits, and surely it was more dangerous by not having a trigger guard?

Confused,

Sean.

p.s. Nice find by the way :thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of the folding trigger? Other than it requiring a slightly smaller holster I cant see any benefits, and surely it was more dangerous by not having a trigger guard?

Confused,

Sean.

p.s. Nice find by the way :thumbsup:

It was to allow it to be carried in a small pocket or bag - in fact folding-trigger revolvers in .22RF or 5mm pinfire calibres were often known as 'handbag pistols'. The Bulldog and its copies were a little large for that, though - more suitable for a jacket or large trouser pocket.

Holstering one - well, I guess it must sometimes have been done - but it would be an unusual and rather OTT way of carrying it. Looking at this, there's no real scale, but .32 certainly looks more likely than .22 to me.

Regards,

MikB

Thanks Mik, makes sense about not holstering. I still cant get my head around its purpose though, how much bigger would it be with a trigger guard? They must of been the cause of many an accident due to the safety catch being left off when pocketed? Dropping one must of been hazardous also!!

Regards,

Sean.

Thanks Mik, makes sense about not holstering. I still cant get my head around its purpose though, how much bigger would it be with a trigger guard? They must of been the cause of many an accident due to the safety catch being left off when pocketed? Dropping one must of been hazardous also!!

Regards,

Sean.

As you pull back the hammer to cock it, the trigger should drop into the working position. Quite safe until cocked, just like any other pistol. John

Regards,

Sean.

The vast majority of revolvers do not have a 'safety catch' as you would understand the term. They usually rely on a rebound hammer and long double action trigger pull for safety. Dropping one very rarely results in a discharge.

indeed Belgian and .320

this type was also found after the war in former Belgian trenches.

Cnock

Regards

TonyE

In that case I won't mention the BL 7.2-inch howitzer I have in the garage joke.gif

I've seen and handled bucket loads of them and whilst the majority were .22rf, .320 revolver certainly seemed a close second. I have not seen many in larger calibres, with folding triggers.

The only one I can think of is the Italian Bodeo which is a full size holster revolver in about 11mm approx 44cal and extensively used in the Great War.

khaki