Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper called 'Blighty'

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Whilst re-ribboning my wife's grandfather's WW1 Trio this morning, I was intrigued to find his clasp knife in the same box, which was wrapped in a piece of newspaper. The publication was something called 'Blighty' and although very faded the date 1916 could be made out.

Does anyone have any info on 'Blighty'Thanks,

Ian :)

Ian

'Blighty' was a weekly free paper for the troops. I have an IWM reprint of the Christmas 1917 special edition, which cost one shilling [then, that is, the IWM are a bit more streetwise than that!]. It's a bit like a downmarket 'Punch' - cartoons,stories, poems, etc., but in the main written and drawn by serving men + lots of adverts for things that no soldier could do without.

Regards - Sue

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thanks Sue,

Next time I'm done Lambeth way I see if they have any for sale.

Two things I can make out are adverts for bovril and ciggies..... :rolleyes:

Ian

They're not that subtle with the adverts - there's the 'Target' wrist watch protector, 'Triplex' safety glass [no, don't ask..], the 'War Life' Insurance policy, and some 'Red Tabs' in a very nice Wolseley car driving past some Indian Cavalry who seem to be working very hard [the Cavalry, not the Red Tabs.] - and yes, lots of ciggies.

Regards - Sue

One of the veterans I knew, Jock Gaffron 4th Gordon Highlanders, drew cartoons for this magazine; I believe there is at least one in the Christmas 1917 issue. I remember him saying that most of the material was done by soldiers like him who had been badly wounded and were awaiting discharge; Jock lost his leg on the Somme.

The IWM currently have reproductions of the 1916 and 1917 Christmas editions of Blighty. Well worth buying as they are excellent examples of thier type.

I believe that Blighty was provided free to the troops at the front and was funded by selling copies on the home front to cover the cost of the free "export" copies.