Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ladder Lacing...

Guest Clinton Brunt

Guest Clinton Brunt

Fellows,

Haven't had as much chance to post as I'd hoped :(

Does anyone have any thoughts, rumors or ideas as to why the British army (among others) insisted on boots being ladder-laced? I mean, does it serve a real purpose?

I've a pair of boots laced so and honestly, its a pain in the hind-end!! Its difficult to tighten and a little difficult to loosen.

Any ideas??

Sincerely,

Clinton

In basic training, we were told to lace them that way as it looked smarter and because "It`s the Army way"! I agree it`s a pain! Phil B

PS The laces were leather and of square cross section and they had to be laced up with no twists in. Not easy.

It also makes it far easier and quicker to remove a boot - your own or a another's - by slicing or cutting through horizontal laces.

Richard

It also makes it far easier and quicker to remove a boot - your own or a another's - by slicing or cutting through horizontal laces.

Richard

Same reason as I was always given.

Steve

There are at least three ways to do ladder lacing (they all look the same on the outside)

I was told to cut the boot open also

You've touched a real raw nerve here We did all our shoes like this from childhood I hate to see Xs its so incredibly ugly and cack-handed looking it makes me want to scream (and I am a very placid guy and will tolerate most things)

The main reason is the cutting open for medical purposes. One other reason was that it stays tighter for longer if done up properly.

And of course they look nice on parade.

Whoops. Forgot to mention. The nice little rabbit ears don't exist, so they cannot poke out and get snagged on stuff, tripping the owners over.

Very smart.

This may well be a military old wive's tale - never having been closer to the army than dating one of their civilian staff I don't have a MBF (Military Bulldroppings filter)....

I recall a chap being interviewed on the radio about his service somewhere saying that if the Ghurkas were feeling their way about in the dark and came across a sentry they'd feel very carefully up the front of his boots. If they weren't laced up ladder-fashion (ie it wasn't "one of us") the sentry's spell on duty was just about to be cut VERY short....

Make your own mind up...

Adrian

I can confirm the story, It was told to me when I was in the Far East in 48 Gurka Brigade.

John