Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help locating "the spot"

Woolybully

Hi

I'm posting on this subforum after being recommended to ask you guys and gals for help.

I have a great uncle who fought with the Canadian 8th Battalion and was killed on 21.05.1915. I'm trying to find "the spot" and will be visiting on a trip to Europe next Easter.

Background - John William Robinson, Pte 739, 8th Battalion, CEF. I have a copy of his full dossier and it appears that "Died of Wounds" was later updated to "Killed in Action". The CO of the 8th remarks on the War Graves Register "Point marked X2A Sheet 36" and also "East Festubert". Now this is where I got a little confused and am asking for guidance/assistance... using the guides on http://regimentalrogue.com/ I have "translated" 36.X.2.a to an area very near to Gamand which is just outside SE Lille.

Lille is circa 40kms from Festubert so I am thinking either a) John did die of wounds at a clearing or aid station or B) "Point marked X2A Sheet 36" as per the War Graves Register can be "translated" a different way. I'm thinking that this is more likely as it does also state "East Festubert". Any thoughts, pointers, hints or tips?

The War Diary of the 8th Batt describes heavy shelling on the days around 21st May and the trench location running parallel to la Quinque Rue (a captured German communications trench).

CWGC has no grave for John William Robinson, it is assumed that subsequent action destroyed the location of his burial, John is listed on the Vimy Memorial to Canada's national memorial. John William fought alongside his elder brother Frederick William Robinson, Pte 740, 8th Battalion, CEF (who survived the war).

Images of the War Graves Register and the Circumstances of Death cards can be seen in this topic on the Soldiers forum page http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197370&hl=

Any assistance in location the burial place and/or the place my great uncle died would be very much appreciated. Thank you

WoolyBully

• Admin

Lille (and Gamand) were in GErman hands from late 1914 until late 1918 so that is not the place where he was bureid unless he was captured.

36 X2a is off to the the NW of Festubert which sounds like he was taken to an aid station of some type.

post-32914-0-83921200-1375269797_thumb.j

post-32914-0-59660200-1375269810_thumb.j

In Sheet 36a(1 : 40000), which is the adjoining sheet, X2a comes up with Le Vert Lannot approx. 3.5 mls NE of Bethune and 4mls NW of Quinque Rue Martin

Thanks SPOF and connaughtranger,

I hadn't thought that the "36" may actually be "36a". That certainly makes more sense to me than Gamand!

I'll try and trace aid stations and see. I'm waiting for the dossier of John's brother to arrive from the Libraries and Archives Canada. The family story is that he was wounded whilst he was beside John. As Frederick survived the war his medical sheet may tell a more detailed tale.

Thanks again