Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown shell

gilbo139

I realise this may not be WW1 but know the experts will be able to tell me one way or the other.......I have been given this shell case with a replaca wooden (possibly mahogany ) head. I believe in its history at some point it was brought back from South Affrica, there are very few markings on it ...at the base it reads BERNDORF 1894......,is that simply the date of production at a place in Austria? It measures 103 cm long and has a diameter of 14 cms at the base!

Thanks. Colin

post-75644-0-98485100-1375259982_thumb.j

post-75644-0-57829700-1375259998_thumb.j

post-75644-0-08471800-1375260017_thumb.j

From a big game hunter's express rifle possibly. For shooting elephants, rhino etc?

The base is 140mm Centurion, a tad of an overkill for big game?

what is the diameter at the top of the case?

Cnock

I,m chuckling here.............Cnock the diameter at top of shell case is 122 mm. Also I perhaps shouldn't,t have mislead anybody with the South Africa bit.......all I know is that when the gentleman who owned it came back to this country after living in South Africa he brought it with him as well as a bayonet and Luger .........but he may have taken them with him.....I don,t know,

Thanks so far....Colin

Looks more like a 6lb Naval shell type or similar. I think the markings should say Oberndorf, where Mauser had their works.

John

PS. Loved Centurion's first post. ..."Battery A - ten rounds HE at the Rhino"? "Sir, we've only got shrapnel rounds".

Misread I'd seen 14mm ah well

103 cms x 14 mm would be impressive.

Looks more like a 6lb Naval shell type or similar. I think the markings should say Oberndorf, where Mauser had their works.

John

PS. Loved Centurion's first post. ..."Battery A - ten rounds HE at the Rhino"? "Sir, we've only got shrapnel rounds".

6 pounders were 57mm. calibre - this is 122 at the casemouth and would generally imply a projectile between 50 and 60 pounds in weight. With AP, King Tigers would be a more suitable target than Rhinos, but that would have to wait for another war... :D Pretty heavy stuff for SA in the 1890s. Regards, MikB

I must admit I didn't apply my mind to exactly what it was. I know there are far more knowledgeable people on this forum regarding artillery shells, especially of the pre WW1 period. I just thought the shape was similar to a 6 pdr, but I do also take Centuion's point that at a very quick glance it does look like the monster nitro express rounds used in big game hunting at the time. Yes at 122mm it would be a heavy shell, but as it's quite short I'm unsure of the weight range.

John

Quite short, Gunner?

It's over a metre long!

I will have the answer I hope shortly.

REgards

TonyE

HI Tony. I meant the shell rather than the brass. John

Thanks to all that are attempting to find out a bit more for me..............the photos were taken on an I pad and and not the best quality but I did put Princess Mary,s chocolate/ cigarette box near the shell to give an idea of the size.........however the box seems that small it might have been missed.....Colin

Thanks to all that are attempting to find out a bit more for me..............the photos were taken on an I pad and and not the best quality but I did put Princess Mary,s chocolate/ cigarette box near the shell to give an idea of the size.........however the box seems that small it might have been missed.....Colin

When I first saw it, I couldn't decide whether it was a bar of soap or a dishwasher tablet... :D

There's an underlying jest to this thread!!!!!!!!! Not a bad thing though.......Colin