Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tomb of Unknown Warrior (NZ)

Captain Dave

Andrew,

Bodies for the Unknown British soldier were selected from Ypres, Arras, the Somme and the Aisne. These were brought to St. Pol where Brig. Gen. Wyatt slected one body at random. There is no way of knowing it is a 1914 victim.

The follow-up is interesting as well. The British did not want the three remaining bodies to be known as those who didn’t make it (like the French have done with their 6 or 7 at Verdun). The three bodies (which did not amount to more then a full sandbag each) were not reburied at St. Pol (where most if not all graves are those of knowns) but they were brought to an area still under investigation for bodies. In 1978 it was revealed by one of those present that the bodies had been brought to the Albert-Bapaume road, where they were, euh, ‘placed’ with only a little soil over them and a quick prayer. From official papers they later learned that the three bodies had been found and transferred to a military cemetery.

My money is on Bapaume Post.

Regards,

Marco

As an American, I felt great pain when the Vietnam Unknown was outed ... but I know how I feel when I pause at the graves of the Unknown ... in Ottowa and in Westminister ...

Think of it this way ... many of us have visited the battlefields and know the things about the war ... etc. For those who will NEVER get to Ieper or the Somme or anywhere these men fought and died ... the Unknown is for THEM. When they pause and reflect - watching the little gas flame or whatever ... they can say thanks to those that died for them so far away ... and died unknown to any but God ...

Politicans come and go ... but the Unknown stands for all of us poor common people - caught in the swirl of events - but doing our duty ... our duty to the future.

The fact that there are military gaves all over France or the world means little to today's citizens - but one grave at home - can mean the "life" to all of them all over the world. Political or not - I would thank the gov't that still cares enough to do it rather than doing all the other things gov't do with our money.

Bodies for the Unknown British soldier were selected from Ypres, Arras, the Somme and the Aisne. These were brought to St. Pol where Brig. Gen. Wyatt slected one body at random. There is no way of knowing it is a 1914 victim.

Marco is absolutely right, but there may be some truth in the story that Andrew heard about the chosen bodies being those of early casualties, if not specifically 1914 ones. According to Michael Gavaghan The Story of the Unknown Warrior the parties sent to the four battlefield areas to recover bodies were instructed to bring back one body each from a grave marked as that of "An Unknown British Soldier" (confirmation was to be the presence of items of British uniform) and from as early in the war as possible to allow time for nature to have caused sufficient deterioration of the body.

Tom

Andy,

I don't think too many people would disagree with your thoughtful sentiments about the role of the Unknown Soldier. And you Americans are as good as anyone in the world at paying your respects in an appropriate fashion to your Unknown Warriors.

As an Australian, I am simply raising the issue of the way in which our Unknown Soldier came to lie in Canberra. To my mind it could have been done in a more sensitive fashion, but this is no way diminishes the significance of the tomb as a national memorial.

Thanks for the comments.

Mat

I possibly should put this in Utterly Off-Topic but can I ask my Australian,Canadian and New Zealand Colleagues why your Governments decided to repatriate a Servicemen from World War 1?

George

If allowed only a one word answer.

IMPACT

ooRoo

Pat

George,

Interesting point you make. I'm not sure of the answer but, on the same lines, I wonder why we Aussies didn't choose an unknown from Gallipoli, once the decision had been made to go with WWI.

Considering that our sector at Anzac was almost exclusively Australian, you would think that a soldier from here would be even more representative than a soldier from France.

I'm sure the powers-that-be had valid reasons for their decision.

Cheers,

Mat

Matt

Odds of about 5 to 1 perhaps? About 8,000 deaths Gallipoli, well over 40,000 Western Front.

After all "The Laws of Probability" often play a part in Australian decisions.

Additionally, of all the Australians who had served at Anzac, probably as many are buried on the Western Front as on Gallipoli and in Egypt. Our Villers- Brett Warrior may have worn the A badge. No Anzac Cove soldier could truly represent those who fought in other theatres.

Patt

I possibly should put this in Utterly Off-Topic but can I ask my Australian,Canadian and New Zealand Colleagues why your Governments decided to repatriate a Servicemen from World War 1?

As put at the start from the NZ perspective, it comes down to vote gathering. This sort of thing should have been done in the 1920's or 30's, and pushed along by veterans. Not 80 years later lead by a Prime Minister that activly protested against Vietnam and anything that the Returned Services Associations stood for.

Times have changed however. At one end of the scale is the introduction of an Operational Service Medal for NZ deplyments post dated to 1946. This was obviously a cheaper option to garnish votes than retaining our strike wing capability. At the other end of the scale is the reminder that war is bad and kills people viz the intro of the tomb of the unknown soldier. Oh, lets all do something for those family members who have a relative in France.

An intresting letter appeared in the Dominion Post yesterday from a member of the public who pointed out that 103 thousand NZ tps served overseas in WW1. Of that 3000 were Maori. It can go without saying that there will be a large Maori culture party traveling to France, and that they will play a prominant part in the ceremony. Again however, it comes down to the current Govt jockying for votes.

Anyway. Enough ranting. It's a nice idea, but it's too late, and insincere to really gell well with my ideas of proper respect for the dead.

Anyway. Enough ranting. It's a nice idea, but it's too late, and insincere to really gell well with my ideas of proper respect for the dead.

Dave

It probably matters little to you, but that gets right up my nose.

Pat

What part aggrivate you exactly?