Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE magazine cutoff plate bolt

Chester837

Not very niche is it eh??

Does anyone out there know where I can get hold of a SMLE magazine cutoff plate bolt for a MkIII*. This is the bolt that attaches the plate to the side and acts as a hinge. I've looked everywhere (well, a lot of sites anyway) and can't find one.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Isn't it a screw, rather than a bolt? If so, search eBay for 'smle cutoff screw'. There are quite a few cutoff screws on there at the moment.

Tom

Tom,

Yes, went to eBay and found them, didn't think I'd find any on there. Thanks.

Tony,

I have acquired a ropey deactivated 1918 BSA built SMLE which has the aperture for the magazine cut-off. Did they build the mkIII* with the cut off aperture but not fit the parts?

Cheers

It seems that almost any combination of features can be found. Mark III* bodies with cut of slots are not uncommon. My own 1918 Mark III* probably had a slot as it was put back to Mark III standard in 1925 and the star barred out.

Regards

TonyE

If you run into problems getting one I can probably dig one out for you but not for week or so.

Just an FYI it can be a bit of a b****r to fit the cut-off, you have to remove the action from the fore-end as the screw/bolt fits from underneath. It can be very fiddly to line up the two holes in the action and the hole in the plate. Also - make sure the plate fits. If you get a NOS plate you may find it too thick to fit without a bit of "fettling" - then of course you have to get it to fit and get the pin to line up. The threads are quite fine and the bolt is thin and it is quite possible to bend it....don't ask how I know.

Just one other thing, make sure your forend is "low cut" otherwise the slot will be covered.

As Tony says - 100 years after the fact almost any combination can be found.

Chris

Thanks chaps for the additional info, most useful.

I think I have a source for the screw so many thanks for the offer but I'll bear you in mind if I do decide to fit the cut off and end up stripping the thread!!!!

I think I will go ahead and order both the screw and plate, at least I'll have them if I do decide to fit it. As the saying goes, better looking at it then for it eh.

Cheers