Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A cry for help

Idlewild

Hi all, struggling to find out what unit my great grandfather served in and thought someone out there might be able to help. Only found out he did serve by accident while doing the family tree as he was killed in the 1920's in a car accident. The only picture I so far have is the one below and struggling to find any war records of him, I know a lot were destroyed in a bombing raid during WWII. Any help would be immensly appreciated. He lived in Dundee at the outbreak of war but not sure on the regiment/unit.

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-100695-0-42465300-1374916523_thumb.

My instinct is Royal Scots Fusiliers. Medal card may help.

No MIC on the NA's for RSF or A&SH, could be any Highland Regt with the badge at that angle.

Andy

Did he marry or have kids between 1914 and 1919?

Sam

Married Mary Thornton in 1907 in Dundee, had a daughter, Eliza/Elizabeth in November 1914 and had a son called Thomas born in August 1917

Thanks for the help

Andy

My instinct is Royal Scots Fusiliers. Medal card may help.

Also looks to me as RSF. Slight possibility it is KOSB.

Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum.

Is the photo a cut down version?, there maybe other clues! if you could possibly post other parts.

8 possibles Medal Index Cards N/A Scottish Regiments i think.

Melville, Thomas. Gordon Highlanders S/20343 Private. Melville, Thomas. King's Own Scottish Borderers 33072 Private. Melville, Thomas. Gordon Highlanders S/43039 Private. Melville, Thomas. Royal Highlanders 8193 Private. Melville, Thomas. Royal Scots 35126 Private. Melville, Thomas. Royal Scots 32582 Private. King's Royal Rifle Corps R35903 Private. Melville, Thomas. Royal Highlanders 201999 Private. Labour Corps 442611 Private. Melville, Thomas. Seaforth Highlanders S/5614 Private. Scottish Rifles 24298 Private. Melville, Thomas. Gordon Highlanders S/20343 Private.

Walter

Only address I have is the 1915 valuation Rolls and he's listed in the Hilltown Dundee, occupation as a Millworker, birth cerificates aren't available Im afraid. Sorry for the sparse details and poor picture. It is a cutdown but I don't know where the original is, will keep looking though.

Cheers

Andy

birth cerificates aren't available Im afraid.

You can get a copy from any Registry Office, his Regt is almost certainly on his Sons Birth cert (if he was serving), the AVL normally only states "Absent" and "Soldier, Sailor".

Sam

Dundee AVL will give Regiment and service number and even the ship a sailor was on,but I can`t see your lad in the Hilltown.

Gary

You can get a copy from any Registry Office, his Regt is almost certainly on his Sons Birth cert (if he was serving), the AVL normally only states "Absent" and "Soldier, Sailor".

Sam

Yes, definitely get the birth certificate if you can. I had a similar problem and it gave me a start. From there I've found out more information.