Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major CAL Yate VC, KOYLI

seaforth78

A widow of a soldier, in receipt of widow's pension, automatically lost it if she re-married, or indeed cohabited. Goodbye £140 per annum.

Hi Grumpy,

I found this of interest as I did not know this. Could you please tell me what source you had gotten this from as I would need this for my files. This is most interesting. Thanks!

Hallo S78! This is still occurring today and so affects the widows now - the rules have never changed. If she fought for and got the full pension I assume it was back-dated. Her subsequent marriage would mean that she would lose her widow's pension. However, I do get the feeling her re-marriage would have removed her from financial worry.

Hi,

She did indeed get it, but as you and Grumpy mentioned she had to give this up on re-marrying the Baronet; not that she needed after the probate award of 2117 pounds which was a huge sum in those days...

I'm a bad boy I'm afraid as I haven't answered your PM last week; i have been knocked out with the flu but will write you soon.

Thanks!

PS I went online on the Highlanders Museum and paid 10 pounds for an initial query to see if they could dig up a photo of St. Clair but no response much an acknowledgement of my payment three weeks ago. Have you had issues like this before?

Hi,

She did indeed get it, but as you and Grumpy mentioned she had to give this up on re-marrying the Baronet; not that she needed after the probate award of 2117 pounds which was a huge sum in those days...

I'm a bad boy I'm afraid as I haven't answered your PM last week; i have been knocked out with the flu but will write you soon.

Thanks!

PS I went online on the Highlanders Museum and paid 10 pounds for an initial query to see if they could dig up a photo of St. Clair but no response much an acknowledgement of my payment three weeks ago. Have you had issues like this before?

I would try emailing them and asking them to acknowledge your payment and research request were received. Sometimes they are very good and other times they seem a bit muddled. I'm not sure they pass messages between them and it has led to some confusion in the past.

By the way did you see Trajan's post of another topic running on Yate? I have been following it and it is very interesting. Look at the previous page in this thread and Trajan has posted a link to it if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

The loss of pension by a re-marrying widow is covered by the Royal Warrant for Pay etc 1913 , para 666. Subsequent Warrants did not change this.

If husband number 2 subsequently pegged out, she could [provisionally] revert to the the initial widow's pension.

And don't ask what if number 2 was also an officer ....................

The loss of pension by a re-marrying widow is covered by the Royal Warrant for Pay etc 1913 , para 666. Subsequent Warrants did not change this.

If husband number 2 subsequently pegged out, she could [provisionally] revert to the the initial widow's pension.

And don't ask what if number 2 was also an officer ....................

He would have been husband number 3! And I won't ask! Thank you Grumpy for digging out the information regarding pensions and remarriage, I didn't know where to look I only knew that it was so. I also didn't realise the pension could be claimed again on the previous husband in the event of the next husband dying. I expect S78 might know what she did next.

She was quite the drama 'queen'. Ironically Major Yate met his death on the way to Switzerland in order to be with her as she was staying there pre-war for treatment.

Seaforths,

Thanks! Will call them tomorrow as I am a bit disappointed in their rather confused ways which hasn't changed since 2006! I just wish I had my clout with the retired senior officers I knew back in 2000-07 who are now sadly retired and have nothing to do with the Regiment any longer.

Grumpy,

Am I to understand that she would have been benefiting from two pensions? i wonder how true this is as the three cornered paper correspondence battle between Colonel Yate (Yate's VC's cousin) later 1st Baronet, the WO and Yate's wife is all about how bereft (no pun intended intended) she would be left on the miserly sum she was initially quoted by the WO.

No, I obviously did not make the matter clear.

WO widows' pensions ceased and cease when the recipient gets another man, legally or otherwise.

If this new man pegs out/ ceases to support, there is a chance the original pension could be restored.

This accords well with my take on Treasury parsimony, carefully honed over a lifetime.

Ah, this is your opinion. Ok. I was wondering if this was fact or not as this information was crucial to my understanding of his wife's situation on my essay on Yate and the pension battle his wife was subjected to.

Thanks for clarification.

its not an opinion, p 666 goes on to state ... but in the event of her again becoming a widow her pension may be restored if she is otherwise qualified.

So am I right in thinking that if her current husband (say husband number 3) dies and there is no pension attached to his death then she may be able to have the pension of husband number 2 restored to her as she is once again widowed but if husband number 1 had also died, she could only have the pension of the last one (number 2) restored? In other words, she couldn't accumulate restored pensions of all previous husbands. Sorry if this is sounding muddled.

Seaforths please PM me to give me your email address and I will scan all the Widows Pensions chapter for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting us know Grumpy.