Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graf Von Luckner

Khaki

I have just been browsing through some photos of Von Luckner the Great War German raider of "See Adler" fame, he certainly had a lot of medals of which I can only recognise one or two. Anyone know exactly what he had.?

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, he certainly was well decorated......from both Germany and its allies. He often wore a 'Pour le Merite'-type neck order post war (which I think is the Johannitter Order). A 1938-dated portrait shows him wearing the following decorations...

Ribbon Bar:

Iron Cross 2nd Class,

Lifesaving medal - Prussia

Order of the Crown - Prussia

Order of Albert Knights Cross with Swords - Saxony

St Henry Medal - Saxony

Order of Military Merit with Swords - Bavaria

Cross of Merit - Mecklenburg Schwerin

Brunswick War Merit Cross

Mecklinburg Strelitz Cross for Distinction in War

Frederick Augustus Cross - Oldenburg

Hamburg Cross

Lubeck Cross

Bremen Cross

Liakat Medal - Turkey

Soldiers Cross for Bravery - Bulgaria

?Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross with War Decoration.

And 7 pin on breast awards: Iron Cross 1st Class, Mecklinburg Strelitz 1st Class , Bruswick 1st Class, Oldenburg 1st Class, Order of St Johann, Mecklinburg Schwerin 1st Class, and one other I can't identify...

Anyone else assist? Cheers

Hello ritterk,

Well done' on identifying the bulk of his medals, I know that Von Luckner was a well known personality in New Zealand, so I am not too surprised that the answer to my question come from NZ. As I have mentioned elsewhere I have a few V.L related items including an early photo of him and one of his officers on board an unknown ship (signed photo), a signed (1920) print of the See Adler under sail and a cigarette lighter that belonged to the Captain? of the ship that captured V.L following his escape from NZ )Auckland).

I will continue to follow this thread with interest.

Thank you

khaki

As he was such a great showman I have often wondered if he was actually awarded all those decorations or did he acquire them by other means! He certainly was one of the most 'bedecked' Imperial German Naval officers of WW1 with 2 full ribbon bars - but I understand he was never awarded the Pour le Merite. I emailed the Von Luckner Society in Halle last month to get a definative list of his decorations and the whereabouts of his medals but I have not yet received a reply.... Regards

I would think that the medals that he wore, he was entitled to, when he became unpopular with the later administration (the nazis), I am sure that they would have enjoyed the opportunity of humiliating him if possible.

khaki

You are right, he would never have been allowed to wear all these medals on his Reichsmarine uniform if he was not entitled to them. What is intriguing though is how expansive his awards were compared to other auxillary raider commanders who were perhaps more sucessful than von Luckner.

I am not sure but as a member of the nobility, maybe some of his 'orders' were hereditary, wasn't his Grandfather a Marshal of France etc?

khaki

He did not wear any French awards, but he was honoured by various Germand States including his home State of Saxony. His Turkish and Bulgarian awards are interesting as he never served in the Balkans or Mediterranean! Regards

• 2 months later...

Visited Motuihe Island yesterday, Khaki - and walked the old prisoner of war camp site. It became a NZ Naval establishment after WW1, HMNZS Tamaki, so not much WW1 relicts left, apart from several graves from the 1918 flu epidemic...

Next time I visit I will try and locate the cave the Germand used to store their contraband before they escaped to the Kermadecs! Regards

Hello rittek,

l know exactly where you mean including the graves on the point overlooking the harbor, I think from memory the grave location was the former site of a small coastal gun or a searchlight. As I recall it there wasn't a lot to see apart from the foundations of old naval buildings and a water tower. I didn't have a clue as to where to look for the cave and as it was an afternoon into the evening dinner and cruise I didn't have a lot of time before the night closed in and it all became one big party. It was a great day and the island and harbor were beautiful to see, If you do find the cave, I, and I am sure others would enjoy seeing it..

regards

khaki

I have located a 'treasure map' of the island showing the location of the cave....It was published in 1930 in an account by one of the German internees. It was reproduced in 'Sea Devil' by James Bade in 2006... will endevour to go exploring thie summer!

Cheers

Hugh

Thought I had better post a photo of von Luckner in his Reichsmarine uniform. He must have had a permanent list to port wearing all those decorations...

Luckner.png