Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th Hampshire TA War Diaries EEF and India

BG2012

Hello

I am having trouble finding War Diaries for the 2nd/4th Hampshire Regiment. Sgt William Walker (x2 GreatGrandad).

William Walker originally enlisted with 1st Volunteer Battalion in 1897 which became the 4th TA Bn in 1908. He re enlisted for the territorial force in 1907 and then every year until 1914 when he signed to say he would serve in India. He signed on again in 1915 and 1916.

He embarked at Karachi in the HT Chenab ?? with the rest of the 2nd/4th Bn on 28.4.1917 and disembarked at Suez on 12.5.1917. He served with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force until his colour service expired. He left Alexandria on the HT Kinfauns Castle on 29.8.1917.

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

It doesn't look like there are any for pre-May 1917, but the later one's are in:

WO 95/4690 (May 1917 to April 1918

WO 95/3087 (June 1918 to Feb 1919)

WO 95/2309 (May 1919 to Oct 1919)

Phil

Thanks Phil thats great, I dont have much luck finding docs on National Archives website. This should complete my research for William Walker......

Ben,

The NA system is very fussy and you have to get it dead right. I use the same method as I did with the old Catalogue.

I entered "2/4 Battalion Hampshire" (without quotes) and limited the search to WO 95. They then come up as the first three hits.

Phil

According to the snappily-titled History of the Hampshire Territorial Force Association and War Record of Units, 1914-1919, the 2/4th sailed from Southampton on 12th December, 1914, on the H T "Caledonia", and then the "Chenab" on 29th April, 1917, from Karachi.

If you PM me an e-mail address I will happily photograph the few pages on the 2/4th from the book - not a huge amount, but quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a history of the Bn 2/4th Battalion Hampshire Regiment 1914-19. You may find a copy in one of the Hampshire Librarys, also the Bn did a magazine The Tiger, Aldershot library have 9 copies from No 2- No 12 (No6-10 are missing).

It is worth contacting the Hampshire Regiment Museum. Throughout the War the Regimental association maintained a published journal that featured stories and reports and casualty lists etc from the battalions serving overseas. There is a good chance that the relevant journals will have some reports from the 2/4th Bn TF. The Regimental Museum has the complete set. This info will be mostly additional info to that contained in the War Diaries.

MG

Forum member Marc Thompson is involved with the Royal Hampshire's museum.

• 3 weeks later...

Taken me awhile to get on here to reply. The Hampshire Regiment Museum has always been a great help when I have asked questions. I have not looked at the journals for the 2/4th Bn yet , the Hampshire records office might have them as well.

Cheers