Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who wrote Medal Citations

Skipman

Mike,

From a War Diary.

11th June 1915-The same attack was carried out again tonight.While the attack was in progress the enemy exploded a mine half way between the lines and the attack was stopped.Lieut J. Martin was reported missing.

12th June 1915-Early this morning Lieut Martin was observed lying on the German parapet and was seen to move slightly.Arrangements were made to attempt a rescue and 7709 L/C Angus of 8th Highland Light Infantry attached to the 8th Royal Scots volunteered to go out and bring him in.Supported by covering rifle and machine gun fire L/C Angus crept up and succeeded in rousing Lieut Martin who managed to reach our lines in spite of the heavy throwing of bombs by the enemy.L/Cpl Angus also got in though severely wounded.L/Cpl Angus was recommended for and awarded the Victoria Cross.

If you type in L/Cpl Angus V.C. in Google search you should find his citation.

George

Thanks George. I am familiar with William Angus's story, of course. Is the battalion diary entry, the actual wording of the citation, and was he awarded the VC on the 12th of June 1915?

Incredible bravery

Mike

Have just found the citation

THE VC CITATION

"No 7709 Lance-Corporal William Angus, 8th (Lanark) Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry (Territorial Force) - For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Givenchy on 12 June 1915, in voluntarily leaving his trench under very heavy bomb and rifle fire and rescuing a wounded officer who was lying within a few yards of the enemy's position. Lance-Corporal Angus had no chance whatsoever in escaping the enemy's fire when undertaking this very gallant action, and in effecting the rescue he sustained about 40 wounds from bombs, some of them being very serious"

Mike

Mike,

Although it is a day by day Diary I've a feeling the last sentence, or part of, may have been added later. ;)

George

Mike. I think the short answer is anybody in authority who wished to report another person's gallantry. I have a citation from a Sergeant for a private. But the citations only produced medals when they were formatted and signed by the correct persons, usually unit commanding officers, and accepted for consideration by the appropriate authority, usually brigade HQs who forwarded them to Divisional HQ. So the citations would work their way upwards in a unit, being scrutinised at every level - Pl Comd - Coy Comd - unit CO - Bde HQ - Div HQ - until they could be accepted, down-graded or rejected. In at least one theatre there appears to have been considerable flexibility about the IMMEDIATE AWARDS, with Brigade Commanders being able (if the theatre commander had agreed) to make them. (This theatre was East Africa where brigades fought in dispersed columns and Bde Comds had much more geographical and logistical responsibility than the trench-bound brigades in France had. Harry

Mike,

I've a feeling the last sentence, or part of, may have been added later.

George

:thumbsup:

Many thanks also Harry, that's very helpful.

Mike

In a battalion or similar unit it was the Commanding Officer who wrote the citations, using drafts drawn up by his company commanders. As the war went on, the writing up of citations became in many ways an art. Savvy COs became adept at using the right languge to ensure that their men obtained awards.Charles M

Excellent Charles, thanks for that. Would ( whoever it was that ) checked these recommendations, not see through that, if he had a bit ' savvy ' :)

Might they also think sometimes " I think that particular battalion has had quite enough MC's this month "?

I was wondering about the accuracy of the citation, because I know of a VC citation that mentions " machine gun fire " at Lancashire landing, and what with the the continued debate over whether there were MG at the beaches, if this had any bearing on the matter. Probably not?

Mike

The wording of the recommendation was often changed as it went up the chain of command. The published citations were often quite different from the original recommendation, having been 'sanitised' of much detail including locations and acts that might be viewed as unsavoury, including the killing of prisoners.

Thanks Ken. That's interesting.

Just checked Jacka's citation. From wiki. This is 1915 of course, but fairly unsavoury?

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officers and Non-commissioned Officers:-

No. 465 Lance-Corporal Albert Jacka, 14th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces.

For most conspicuous bravery on the night of the 19th–20th May, 1915 at "Courtney's Post", Gallipoli Peninsula.

Lance-Corporal Jacka, while holding a portion of our trench with four other men, was heavily attacked. When all except himself were killed or wounded, the trench was rushed and occupied by seven Turks. Lance-Corporal Jacka at once most gallantly attacked them single-handed, and killed the whole party, five by rifle fire and two with the bayonet.

Mike

wiki VC list

Another AIF man, 1918. Perhaps the Australians were not so worried about sanitising the citations?

Robert Beatham VC —The London Gazette" dated 14 December 1918 (wiki)

For most conspicuous bravery and self-sacrifice during the attack north of Rosieres, east of Amiens, on 9th Aug., 1918. When the advance was held up by heavy machine gun fire, Pte. Beatham dashed forward, and, assisted by one man, bombed and fought the crews of four enemy machine guns, killing ten of them and capturing ten others, thus facilitating the advance and saving many casualties. When the final objective was reached, although previously wounded, he again dashed forward and bombed a machine gun, being riddled with bullets and killed in doing so. The valour displayed by this gallant soldier inspired all ranks in a wonderful manner.

Mike

• 1 month later...

All Citations were all submitted on army form W3121.The recommendation had to be signed and submitted before you were dead otherwise the award was not granted.The citation was often a much abbreviated form of the original citation.best w, Howard

All Citations were all submitted on army form W3121.The recommendation had to be signed and submitted before you were dead otherwise the award was not granted.The citation was often a much abbreviated form of the original citation.best w, Howard

I thought that an awful lot of V.C.'s were posthumous?

Hazel

They were ,The VC is I think the only exception.The DSO , MC , DCM , and MM were not and the above rule applies. However there are many instances where ,when killed the VC recommendation was substituted with an MID.A case in point was the 16th HLI at Frankfurt Trench Nov 1916,With 1 DSO, 11 DCMs and 22 MMs awarded to the survivors, the two most gallant men both recommended strongly for the VC only received MIDs. ,(page 63/64 Regimental History refers under"two great soldiers") The official notes of guidance for gallantry medals state..."A man reported missing may be recommended for an award provided the officer making the recommendation signs the Form while the person recommended is still alive" There is an earlier caveat for awards for men taken POW which states "other than for the VC "which indicates the VC may be a special case.Many VCs were awarded posthumously to men killed later the same day,I would guess those seeing the act would record it immediately or soon after. There are many awards for gallantry medals to men killed the same day as the winning their award.I have no doubt officers would bend the rules to ensure their men got their medal.In compiling the MM Roll from the original cards I have found several which are annotated "killed in action award cancelled".best w, Howard

Although we accept the concept of posthumous awards nowadays, historically it was not something which was even considered. Reports of actions prior to the Boer War (ABW) often contained the comment "Had he survived, he would have been recommended . . etc" and during the last few years of the 19th century some support for the idea of posthumous VC's was apparent. However, the problem was that the extant Royal Warrants did not allow it.

When "Bobs' " son was killed at Colenso in 1899, regardless of the lack of authority, a posthumous award was made. This led to several successful campaigns for other long dead heroes to receive the award, notably Coghill and Melville who had died "attempting to save 2/24th colours" at Isandhlwana in 1879. One award dated back to The Mutiny, and another went to a Trooper of the British South Africa Police for an action in the Matabele War of 1896.

The posthumous VC awards of WW1 were made in accordance with this new custom practice, but without authority of Royal Warrant as the precedent established some 14 years before. However, the necessary amending warrant was not issued until 22 May 1920. Even so, whilst the fourth article specifically allowed for posthumous awards, there was no mention of post dating this change.

Awards other than the VC were not posthumously awarded, although tolerance was shown so that a successful recommendation could be made during the lifetime of a soldier even if he did not live long enough to receive the award.

Taking the MC as an example, it was not until 1997 that specific authority by RW was promulgated to authorise posthumous awards. Westmacott (SAS/parent regt Grenadier Guards) was the first posthumous recipient

Far from trying to belittle the daily acts of extreme courage and bravery which were enacted by all ranks throughout the war, we must also bear in mind the political value of these awards and the effect of a well worded citation. The awards served not only as recognition of an act of individual bravery but as an inspiration to other members of the unit, the rest of the Army and, via the media, to the folks at home. We must also remember the reflected glory which the Regiment will enjoy in perpetuity. I hope this does not sound mean spirited. It is directed at the wording of citations and the motivation of those who wrote and approved them.

Peter B

Hi, from the National Archives Website............

2.2 Type of gallantry award records

Awards to British nationals often survive as a public announcement in the official government newspaper the London Gazette (ZJ 1). Depending on the award, a record of a citation or a recommendation may also survive. A citation or recommendation may sometimes survive in the service records of each armed service.

A citation is a brief official statement of why a medal was awarded (taken from the recommendation). A recommendation is usually a fuller statement supplied by a superior, usually a commanding officer.

Occasionally actual citations are published in the London Gazette (ZJ 1), but not always at the same date as the announcement.