Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Filling Factory No. 28 Greenford.

nicktamarensis

Hello,

In carrying out some research on a railway related subject I came across a reference to Filling Factory No. 28 at Greenford. Apparently it opened in 1916.

In attempting to check out the source I can only find a reference to a large filling installation at nearby Hayes (No.4).

Was there there ever a filling factory installation at Greenford? - allegedly where the Lyons factory was later (in 1921) situated.

Nick.

Greenford, Hayes, Harlington Yeading are all in close proximity.

Do have an address.? I gather the Lyons factory was alongside the grand union canal. Good for transportation?

There is a Lyon Way next to the railway.

I think you need an address and an a map of the area at the time.

Hi Johnboy,

Thanks for the reply.

My interest in this is some research I have been following up about the Liskeard & Caradon Railway in Cornwall. One of the locomotives there 'Cheesewring' was moved to Old Oak Common loco depot after the line closed in 1917 in order to work at this depot No. 28 - allegedly at Greenford and a shell filling establishment. There is only one source credited for this info which I cannot verify. However, rather than just accepting the info verbatim I thought I'd try and confirm its accuracy. That's when I hit a brick wall - depot No. 28 is not mentioned anywhere. The only material I have found on these depots is that held by Wiki - and they don't list a 'No. 28'.

Not much help in ascertaining an address I'm afraid - other than where ever this depot was it was obviously well served by a railway (the GWR?) and had yards for incoming material and for despatch.

Does this help at all?

Cheers,

Nick.

I have seen a picture of the Lyons factory alongside the canal. But if you are talking trains, then maybe Lyon Way was named after the company, this is a lot closer to the railway.

The factory area is marked in red.

post-99311-0-39628000-1374616810_thumb.j

The above site is Filling Factory No. 7 at Hayes and some several miles from Greenford (quite close to the site of a Napoleonic gunpowder magazine at North Hyde).

Filling Factory No 28 at Greenford was sited where now lie Green Park Way and Rockware Avenue immediately north of the triangular GWR junction. The site was served by that railway in addition to the Grand Union (Junction) Canal.

The site is now occupied by the Westway Retail Park, IBM and a large Royal Mail depot.. The buildings must have remained for some years after WW1 as the site is clearly visible on the 1945 overlay in Google Earth.

There was a large Rockware, later Pilkingtons, glass works on part of the site before the redevlopment.

This in in fact the lethal filling factory discussed in the lethal shells thread. It was a dye works before the war and afterwards Purex Ltd in 1921 and then the Rockware Glass Syndicate Ltd in 1925 (TQ 157 837). It should be distinguished from the Trench Warfare Factory, Greenford:

It should be distinguished from the Trench Warfare Factory, Greenford:

Where was that? I knew of the Trench Warfare Experimental Dept. in Wembley Park.

Hi Johnboy,

Thanks for the reply.

My interest in this is some research I have been following up about the Liskeard & Caradon Railway in Cornwall. One of the locomotives there 'Cheesewring' was moved to Old Oak Common loco depot after the line closed in 1917 in order to work at this depot No. 28 - allegedly at Greenford and a shell filling establishment. There is only one source credited for this info which I cannot verify. However, rather than just accepting the info verbatim I thought I'd try and confirm its accuracy. That's when I hit a brick wall - depot No. 28 is not mentioned anywhere. The only material I have found on these depots is that held by Wiki - and they don't list a 'No. 28'.

Not much help in ascertaining an address I'm afraid - other than where ever this depot was it was obviously well served by a railway (the GWR?) and had yards for incoming material and for despatch.

Does this help at all?

Cheers,

Nick.

Old Oak Common (part of Wormwood Scrubs) and no. 28 at Greenford. Both sites on the old GWR network

Many thanks guys.

One question :

On a web page giving a listing of all filling stations run by the Ministry of Munitions FF No. 28 is not Greenford but another location.

Is there a definitive listing of all these locations anywhere?

Cheers,

Nick.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have come by this recently and just awaiting the original to

Arrive. It's a postcard of the Purex foundry at

Greenford c:1925

Andy.

post-115415-0-50522100-1410720464_thumb.