Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dress Uniform?

SilverFox100

Does anybody know what regiment this uniform on the photo belongs to? I am making an assumption that it is a dress uniform because it looks very smart but I just don't know. Thanks for any help.

post-99960-0-11069200-1374433678_thumb.j

The badge shape looks familiar, but cannot make it out, uniform appears regulation but not what I would call 'dress uniform', I am guessing that the photo is taken post ww1.

Is there anything on the reverse or do you know the general location of the subject which may give a clue to the regiment/badge.

khaki

The photo was part of a small package of photos inherited by my wife from her Grandmother some years ago and we know that they are all related in some way. We have no knowledge of this one. On the reverse is just stamped the name of the photographer who is W. Wild from 16 Smallbrook Street. Birmingham.

Thanks for any help Khaki. Regards Mike.

Collar badges usually signify post-WW1, the uniform looks like standard service dress. The white lanyard could mean Royal Artillery. Close-up shots might reveal more.

D

Agree - seems to be standard pattern,SD but an unduly dark image giving the impression of a 'darker' uniform. Looking closer you can see the standard pattern web belt. The collar badges are the clue to the unit, but my instincts are towards a post-war photo with a Sphinx or possible mythical creature pattern collar badge 'Dragon' or such like. Only a good blow up will help us out here.

Does look from the shine on the boots and buttons as if more "bulled up" than the usual studio shots of soldiers before they left for France. Taken before a wedding or similar?

Agree - seems to be standard pattern,SD but an unduly dark image giving the impression of a 'darker' uniform. Looking closer you can see the standard pattern web belt. The collar badges are the clue to the unit, but my instincts are towards a post-war photo with a Sphinx or possible mythical creature pattern collar badge 'Dragon' or such like. Only a good blow up will help us out here.

I will see what I can do Graham but it is an old photo and we don,t have the original but we'll see

Regards Mike

I will see what I can do Graham but it is an old photo and we don,t have the original but we'll see

Regards Mike

I have tried but can't get a better copy of this photo the original is just so dark and poor. Sorry Mike