Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC News Item Image WHY?

Seadog

Do any members feel a little uncomfortable with the image that the CWGC have chosen to illustrate the item on the link below? How can such young children have any comprehension of just what they are dressed as or more importantly the scale of the carnage in the Great War.? Considering that the inclusion of this image was a deliberate decision on the part of the CWGC just what were they trying to portray, there must have been more appropriate imgages available? And in front of the great Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval of all places.

Link

http://www.cwgc.org/...-great-war.aspx

Norman

Personally speaking I don't feel uncomfortable with the involvement of youngsters in remembrance. How can they understand, gain any comprehension, of what happened by excluding them - and from Thiepval of all places? Education through involvement in remembrance would be a start. But, for that matter, how can any of us not involved in war understand truly what the experience meant to those caught up in it? No matter how many first-hand accounts I read or veterans I speak to, I would never suggest that I could ever know what it felt like to live under such circumstances. And I hope those young people never find out either.

kids learn though dressing up - if it sparks an interest in ww1 then that's a good thing

Seems innocent enough to me - uniforms actually look pretty good and remind me of those worn by children during WW1 to resemble their father etc