Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible IFTC

ralphjd

Terry. Newspaper article dated 9-8-1919 "died from the effects of gas poisoning" Oldham Chronicle, the man is not on the CWGC site, death certificate still needed for submission I presume, in the process of sending for it. Ralph.

Certificate still needed to confirm cause of death, Ralph.

Is it one you'be be submitting to CWGC, or will you wish In From the Cold to handle it on our behalf?

Let me have his name and I'll check that we havnt already got him iin our pipeline

John

John. Would like you to do it on my behalf please, I have sent for the death certificate, spent 2 hours in Rochdale cemetery today and eventually found his grave, the only marker is an oblong stone one with the initials of the grave owner carved thereon W E B - his father, and this is supporting an headstone that is leaning over at an acute angle. Will the CWGC give him a proper headstone sometime in the future, if accepted as a war casualty ? Details :- Albert Bamford Sapper 347221 died 6 8 1919 in Westhulme Hospital Oldham. Ralph.

No problem, Ralph, Give me a shout when you get the DC.

If the existing headstone commemorates him, then CWGC will be happy with that. If not, they'd erect one of the standard ones.

John

John. He does not have a headstone at all it's just a grave marker, very sad for a man who served his country from August 1903 enlisting underage.There are four others buried here with him, a female sibling another female and his mum and dad, information extracted from the cemetery records. Ralph.

John. Just to point out his service record is on Ancestry, the other female mentioned was his mother-in-law who died in the workhouse in Rochdale. Ralph.

John. Just rec'd the death cert for Albert - " (1) Pulmonary Tuberculosis. (2) Asthenia " occupation ex sapper RE. Worth submitting ? Ralph.

I made a submission for a February 1919 "Gas Poisoning" case a few years back and it was rejected because that in itself didn't mean that he had been gassed on service - it could have happened in his kitchen !!

post-1356-0-67089400-1374244128_thumb.pn

Ralph

I'm struggling to find the service papers on Ancestry - could you give me the link please. I think it's going to hinge on what might be in thereabout his cause of discharge - the asthenia sounds like a possible result of a gassing but it;s not clear enough as it stands.

John

John. Service Records 4th one down (out of 9) b 1885 (wrong) St Peters (which is Newbold, an suburb of Rochdale. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph.

I've had a read through the file and don't see anything which indicates cause of discharge, although there is confirmation that, whatever it was, was caused or aggravated by service. I'm not convinced that this one is a runner, I'm afraid.

John

Hi in case you missed it

Sapper 347221 Albert Bamford was awarded the silver war badge no 395-884

cause of discharge sickness on 6/6/18

regards Ray

Just to set this up, here is the newspaper report" Mons Man's Death" "Sapper Albert Bamford 347221 Royal Engineers,of 5 Griffiths Street Oldham, died at Westhulme Hospital, on Wednesday , from the effects of gas poisoning. The deceased soldier had served for fourteen years in the Kings Own Royal Rifle Corps and went to France with the original Expeditionary Force. He was slightly wounded in November,1914, and was gassed at Loos and again on the Somme. The funeral will take place on Monday at Rochdale cemetery" I shall send off this article and his dc to the CWGC myself, I cannot let this lie and if needs be I wiil pay for a suitable small headstone myself if it comes to that. He will NOT be forgotten even if the CWGC don't want to know.Ralph.

Thanks Ray thats another document of with the others. Ralph.

That's the spirit, Ralph, otherwise you would always be wondering if he would have been accepted. Good onya

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would delve a little into Alberts family buried with him, it's tragic, his sister Gertrude died aged 2 years 8 months from severe body burns after her nighty caught fire lived 24 hours, his mother in law died aged 61 from senility and pneumonia in Rochdale Workhouse, his father died aged 48 from perforation of the stomach caused by eating biscuits too soon after operation ! his mum died age 50 from cancer of the head of the pancreas. So sad.

• 1 year later...
Guest paulinestone

Hi I've just found this topic whilst looking for my grandad - he was 347221 Sapper Albert Bamford. I have his Kings Certificate of Discharge signed June 6th 1918 stating that he was disabled in the Great War. My dad was only 4 but remembered him as being really ill upon his return - he came home to 4 children under 7 years old - with one of them only being 3mths old = and being unfit for work. Not long after his death the 3 older children (my dad included) were taken away from their mother and put into the care system (of the day). So to add insult to injury she lost her husband and three of her children.- no support network as we have nowadays to help cope with her bereavement (and lack of income) followng all his years of service , and ultimately his life being given to his country - so the sadness continued. Apparently my dad was screaming and clinging to her legs when the War Board took them. They were reuntied years later when he was 15 (he basically ran away from where he was to find her!) . Unfortunately my dad and all his siblings have now passed away - but Sapper Albert Bamford's legacy are his 11 granchildren who are all happy and successful with families of their own who will not forget the sacrifice he made for this country.

I would love to get his death recognised as being as a result of the war (as was the case) My dad saw the effects of the gas at the tender age of 4 - those were the only memories he ever had of his own father

Looking at the thread above is there anything I can do to get CWGC to recognise this?

• 7 years later...

To all interested parties. I submitted this lads documents to the CWGC October 2020 and today received a negative reply = " We have had the adjudication returned on this case. Unfortunately , the decision was that Sapper Bamford is not eligible for commemoration. Eligibility for casualties who died post -discharge requires clear evidence that the death was related to service. In the case of death from disease, we require evidence that the condition commenced in service or was aggravated by service. In the case of Sapper Bamford the evidence is insufficient" . I appreciate this will be disappointing news. 

Very upset to say the least, I tried and failed for the first time ever.  Ralph.