Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM Citations to The Queen's 1914-1920

Geoff Reeves

I have "The Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations 1914-1920 to The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)" published by the London Stamp Exchange. If anyone needs a look-up just ask and I can provide the citation.

Currently, I am (attempting) to enter them all in a database with any and all additional information that I can gather. My goal is to create a totally searchable database using various criteria, such as LG date, date of action (where known), soldier KIA or DOW, soldier's who were POW, by rank, by battalion, by theatre of war, by other honours and awards received. Basically, I want the database to be more than just citations and LG dates. If anyone has any information on DCM's to The Queen's that might not appear in the LG, please let me know. Any information is gratefully received!

• 1 year later...

Hi Geoff,

Are your services still available?

Looking for the citation to

10884 Pte Edward Henry Viney (KIA December 14, 1914) 2/Queen's

Earned it on a patrol in "No mans Land" December 14, 1914

Your information fills a hole in my 2/Queen's diary.

Regards and thanks

Curtis

Hi Curtis

Geoff is your man for this one, he has a full list of RWS citation's

His Grandfather served 2nd Bat. L-8846 Sjt W G Reeves DCM (taken POW 1914)

I know from my records that Pte Viney's DCM was listed in the London Gazette on 18 Feb 1915

I have had quick look for his citation but no luck

I have replyed to an email from you a while ago about the Queen's but never head back, I'll PM you my email address

Cheers

Neil

Fellow Queen's Regt Medal Collector

Here's his citation:

London Gazette 1-4-1915

10884 Private Viney, E. 2nd Battalion Royal West Surrey Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on 15th December, 1914. Went with a message to recall an advanced party, and, although mortally wounded, succeeded in completing his duty before losing consciousness.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

• 1 year later...
I have "The Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations 1914-1920 to The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)" published by the London Stamp Exchange. If anyone needs a look-up just ask and I can provide the citation.

Currently, I am (attempting) to enter them all in a database with any and all additional information that I can gather. My goal is to create a totally searchable database using various criteria, such as LG date, date of action (where known), soldier KIA or DOW, soldier's who were POW, by rank, by battalion, by theatre of war, by other honours and awards received. Basically, I want the database to be more than just citations and LG dates. If anyone has any information on DCM's to The Queen's that might not appear in the LG, please let me know. Any information is gratefully received!

Hi Geoff

I am still trying to find out when and where the DCM was awarded to Sgt Herbert Ernest Randall (London Gazette March 28 1918) he was killed 21.9.1918 (Meath/Villers Guislain)

Best regards

Frank