Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers who went on to RUC - is there a ref book?

corisande

A number of the men I have been researching have gone from the British Army to the ADRIC then on to RIC.

I am looking for a reference book that I might obtain that might cover this.

I know that there was a fairly large number went to RUC on independence a a few went at different times

It seems to be a black hole as far as information is concerned

Can anyone make any suggestions - visiting PRONI or anywhere else in NI is not an option for me.

I do not believe there is a single volume that would give you what you seek, but there is plenty of information on the RIC. I discovered recently a fair number of RIC men who then went on to the British Gendarmerie in Palestine, too.

The info given here is good and the two books by Herlihy are probably the best thing you'll find: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-irish-constabulary.htm

Chris

Thanks. I have bought quite a lot of the big files from TNA, and I have Herlichy. I was sort of hoping that there might be a long forgotten reference book on the early days of the RUC that might offer "wholesale" information !

I have sent you an email about Palestine Gendarmerie, which is another fascinating subject, rather than widen this thread too much

There is a book by Ernest McCall called Tudors Toughs,a study of The Auxiliary Division Royal Irish Constabulary 1920-1922.In the back is The Auxiliary List in the RIC Register,giving names with ADRIC No, ADRIC Company, Date of Appointment and Military Unit they served with.It does not give information on if any then went to the RIC ( if I understand your query correctly )

Published by Red Coat Publishing

ISBN 978-0-9538367-3-4

Regards.

Mick

Mick

Thanks for you help, I do have that book, but it covers in depth the men who joined the ADRIC it does not really cover what happened to them after Jan 1922

I suppose I thought tat given its history, that someone might have written a book on the founding of the RUC and where the men came from came from. Sometimes these books got written years ago and have been lost in the mists of time, looks as if the job still has to be done with the RUC

Hi,

Just a thought.....perhaps an email to the PSNI might give you some information? I am sure they will have an archive section/staff who may be aware of any books on the early RUC.

Steve Y