Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allen House Preparatory School, Hook Heath, Woking, War Memorial

bootneck

As part of an ongoing project on Woking’s War Memorials I have just come across the Allen House Preparatory School, Hook Heath, Woking, War Memorial.

Does anybody have any information regarding this memorial? The school closed in 1986 and I have come across a picture of the school in 1929 with the memorial in front of the school which is confirmed by a 1960s map; unfortunately, the photograph was taken over the playing fields and there is no close detail of the memorial.

Any help gratefully received.

regards

Bootneck

• 2 months later...

I was a pupil at Allen House in 1968 and took this photo. The top is missing and the inscriptions are not visible, so probably not much help, but it proves that it existed. Maybe it has been moved somewhere else and someone may remember it?

Allen House War memorial

• 1 year later...
I was also a pupil at Allen House School and left 1968 ,I have a school photograph of the side of this ,the top looks like a stone circle with a cross in the centre .Hard to see as the picture is almost from the side.Will send on if you would like .Roy

• 3 years later...

Thank you for the photo; it's very interesting.

We are still trying to find out more about this 'lost' memorial as we have no idea when it was erected or who might be commemorated on it. 

Some info and another photo here. Closed 1986

http://www.hhra.co.uk/allen-house-park.htm

"The site was sold to the McAlpine building group which built the 49 houses and apartments on what is now Allen House Park. The school merged with St Michael’s School in Old Woking and became the successful Hoe Bridge School."

Maybe worth talking to Hoe Bridge?? Or the HHRA.

Edited by Mark1959

I saw him as the square leg umpire on a shooting-stick, with the pitch out of shot to the left.  There is a solitary fielder at fine leg, third man or long stop.

D

PS: cricket!

Edited by daggers
P.S.

6 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Some info and another photo here. Closed 1986

http://www.hhra.co.uk/allen-house-park.htm

"The site was sold to the McAlpine building group which built the 49 houses and apartments on what is now Allen House Park. The school merged with St Michael’s School in Old Woking and became the successful Hoe Bridge School."

Maybe worth talking to Hoe Bridge?? Or the HHRA.

Good advice.  Prep schools were privately owned schools and their records often disappeared when the owners sold up- a reason why headmasters were appointed young and lasted for a long time-they bought the school so they voted themselves the headship.

It may be worthwhile to see if there is any family member of the wartime owners alive and kicking who could be approached for info. As it was private property, then often the records went with the departing owners (or, more usually, just junked)

13 minutes ago, JOVE23 said:

I am an American, so I understand the word "umpire" and "fielder" :lol:

Careful now-  we will be testing you  on "The Off-Side Rule" next, followed by "Leg Before Wicket"-and the ultimate horror that will always detect a non-Brit.- The Duckworth-Lewis Rules

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...

As a former pupil who left in 1982, I've been directed to this thread by a friend. Hope I can provide some assistance.

A year or so before I left the "New Hall" was built for assemblies, drama, etc., pretty much centered on where the memorial stood. IIRC the memorial was buried underneath, so it may well still be in someone's back garden now. Bring back Time Team!

It was quite often used as the backdrop for school/team photos, so I'm sure there are further pictures out there somewhere which may provide further details.

• 3 months later...

I was at Allen House, Hook Heath, Woking from 1948 until 1955, and remember the war memorial. I don't know what happened to it but you might ask Malcolm Archibald, son of WM Archibald, the dear old head master, I believe he lives in West Sussex somewhere, it used to be in Arundel, West Sussex, maybe you could try the Phone directory. Failing that, try Andy Blumer, who was also a boy at Allen House, and stayed on to become assistant head master, and has retired, now I believe lives in Walbertan, Arundel, West Sussex, and his phone number might still be {Tel number removed by Mods}. 

If any of the old boys of my era would like to contact me, send me an email at {Email address removed by Mods} it would be good fun to catch up. Best wishes to all,  Freer Richardson. (Orange)

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Freer. Your post has been edited to remove a third party phone number and your email address. We do not encourage posting of personal details on a publicly searchable forum. Spammers can harvest information. 

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle for taking care of my overactive info, I had an idea it was likely to be edited it out. Anyway, I wonder if anyone actually knows if the school War Memorial is still in place, I should think it has been moved due to private housing built on the site. Possibly someone at Hoe Bridge School might know, it was very interesting because many old boy's names from WW1 and WW2 were inscribed on it. I was playing cricket on the field and hit a 6, which whacked into the War Memorial which fortunately didn't sustain any damage!

Best wishes to all old boys,

Freer Richardson.

• 5 months later...

I was also a pupil there from 1973-1975. More interestingly, my uncle Malcolm Archibald owned the school "Mr Malcolm" as he was known to the boys.

The school was sold after the fire.

Sadly, Mr Malcolm died recently. I will contact the family and see if ayone knows what happened to the memorial and report back

Kind Regards

I was also a pupil at Allen house, a bit earlier than you Nick, from 1948 - 1955, WMA was the owner/head master, Truran was assistant HM, with Alec Rush, Col. Wilmot-Alliston, C.P. Norris and various other whose names I've forgotten. I don't know what happened to the War Memorial, you might ask at Hoebridge School, Old Woking, there might be an ancient trout there who might just possibly know what happened to it, after all, no one 'throws away" a War Memorial, so you never know, it might me tucked away somewhere at Hoebridge School.

You could ask Andy Blumer, he might know. I'll be 80 in a few months, I wonder if any of my contemporaries are still with us? 

Berst wishes,

Freer Richardson. (Used to be called Barrel, 'cos I was rather chubby!)

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to the War Memorial, I asked Andy Blumer if he could find out, he followed up by asking Robin Barr, the next Head Master of Allen House School, and I received this in reply:

It was great to read Freer Richardson’s email. Sadly as you remember, the war memorial was unceremoniously buried where it had stood to make way for the magnificent, pre fabricated ‘New Hall’ - one of the Archibald big spends..

The brass plaque which also recorded  the names on the memorial and used to be in the Allen House Chapel/Shed is now displayed in a recess just off the entrance hall at Hoe Bridge. It is given due reverence every Remembrance Day. You may also remember that I did some research a few years ago on all the men named on the memorial, if Freer was interested I’m sure I could pass on some of the information.
So now we have the info, and hope those that follow this up will know what to do.

Best wishes, and a Happy Christmas to all,

Freer Richardson.

• 2 years later...

I was at the school 1974 -1980.

in about 1978, the school built a new hall and theatre stage. We went away for the Christmas break and on our return, the memorial had been disassembled and then smashed. Hard to believe but I was a first hand witness.  

A lovely school.