Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Great Grandfather

maisie76

Hi I am new to all this and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking for any information on my Great Grandfathers time in the Army. He was Robert Williamson Wyllie born 23 March 1889 but he had moved to Ayr by 1891 so I assume he joined at Ayr, on the 1911 census he is in England with the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers and listed as a signaller, on his marriage certificate from feb 1915 he is listed as private in 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. I have looked on ancestry and there are 3 possible matches in the medal index card but how would I confirm which one is his? Maisie

I think I can agree there's three there with regular army service numbers:

Robert Wylie, 9811 and Robert Wyllie, 7137 both went overseas with the battalion on 14 August 1914 and he is probably one of these two.

The other possibility is that he was known in the army as William Wyllie and is the man with a service number of 7239. He did go overseas on 14/8/14 with 1/RSF. However he was a sergeant which doesnt tie in with the marriage certificate.

These three are the only likely men,with four-digit regular army numbers. I'm no expert on RSF numbers but I'd have thought that 9811 may be to high a number for a man who had joined up prior to 1911. My best guess, and I stress it can only be a guess, is that he was most likely to have been 7137 - it's probable that you may never know for sure.

Obviously he was back in the UK by February 1915, so that might indicate he had been wounded or returned home sick. It may be worth looking in the local newspapers for wherever he lived. Perhaps also check the papers fro wherever he was married.

John

There's no Robert W Wyllie on the medal index cards but Robert Wyllie, 7137, is the only R Wyllie with a regular army service number.

Except for 9811 R (Robert) Wyllie that is :thumbsup: and my money's on him....

MIC shows 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers and served overseas from 14th August 1914.

His Service number (#9811) would have been issued around February 1909 so would have made the 1911 census and seems, on the face of it, to fit best. #7137 would have been issued around 1902/1903 which makes it unlikely, though not impossible, for his date of birth.

Regards

Steve

WO95/1432 is the War Diary for 1RSF from arrival in France in 1914. It is a digital record and is downloadable from the National Archives Discovery database for GBP3.36. You will get the day to day activity of the battalion there.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Maisie,

If the war diary for 1st battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers looks rather daunting, the History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers by John Buchan (yes, the same one who wrote "The Thirty Nine Steps") gives a good idea of what each battalion was up to each month during the war, and is available in (a rather thick) paperback on Amazon, both new and second-hand. You should be able to get a copy for less than £15.

William

• 6 years later...

Thank you everyone, it’s been a while since I have been on here but thought I would post a few newspaper articles I have found on Robert Wyllie 😊

B9568E25-AF5A-4629-A21C-9CA77ADB96BE.jpeg

F68C8DF3-682D-47EA-8256-B88FB4F80552.jpeg

Also one for his brother William Wyllie 😁

3C7D6C22-3E28-460B-A4C6-BC36E1C858AB.jpeg

On 10/07/2013 at 12:59, maisie76 said:

William Wyllie(service number 7239) was his older brother.

1 hour ago, maisie76 said:

Also one for his brother William Wyllie 😁

3C7D6C22-3E28-460B-A4C6-BC36E1C858AB.jpeg

Don't know if you have spotted William has a post-1920 [1921-] Pension Ledger record index 7239 / 3122376 at the Western Front Association / Fold3 https://www.fold3.com/image/643415594 

He got a permanent disability pension for life [20% disability] - plus a bonus and service pension

Various addresses: 27 Church St, Ayr, C/o Mrs Sloan, St Andrew's House, Girvan, finally C/o Love 1 Albert Place, New Bridge, Ayre

William's 3122376 [seven digit] number means he could perhaps have service records - maybe still at the MoD ???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Thanks 😊 

I have downloaded his service records but I really don’t know what any of it means! 

Maisie 😁

58 minutes ago, maisie76 said:

I have downloaded his service records but I really don’t know what any of it means! 

Whilst it would break the forum rules to post all record images here en masse

- if you have a more specific abstract(s) and/or question(s) then I am pretty sure answer(s) will readily flow.

:-) M