Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trios and pairs with new ribbons + non-matching Defence Medals

WilliamRev

On that well-known auction site, I have recently started seeing WW1 trios and pairs mounted on medal bars, as though they were originally worn by the recipient, but with rather obvious new ribbons for the 14 or 14/15 Star and Victory Medal, and mounted with them a Defence Medal with a (sometimes tatty) original ribbon.

Two Things:

One: whilst I like to buy duos and trios which look as though they have been worn by the recipient, with original ribbons on old medal-bars, I am not so keen when they were obviously mounted last week with new replacement ribbons on brand new medal-bars, clearly with the idea that they will fetch more money.

Two: I feel that my intelligence is being insulted if the newly-ribboned duo or trio is joined on its' brand-new medal-bar by the addition of a Defence Medal which it is clearly in a different condition from the other medals, often with an older dirty/ribbon. I know that the Defence Medal was awarded 25 years or more after the others so may not match the others, but I suspect that someone may be sexing-up the duo/trio with a (still easy to buy for £10 and unnamed of course) Defence Medal from another source.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone else object to this, or is it just me?

William

It is a bit insulting..... adding the Defence Medal in an attempt to say that he served in the Home Guard in WW2.

Buy the medals not the ribbons! Mounted on a bar either by the recipient or more recently IMHO attracts no extra premium nor does the addition of a WW 2 defence medal! It only should add a tenner or so!

TT

I collect primarily WWI pairs and trios to Canadians. Lately I have seen a few WWI pairs mounted as you said, with new ribbons. Coupled with the CVSM, War Medal and Defense Medal. What gets my goat, is the War Medal and Defense Medals were British issue cupro-nickel and not the silver ones as issued to Canadians. I do not bother to contact the seller. I simply note his ID and make sure if there is anything else on his selling list I am interested in, I take a much closer look.

The trend you have mentioned does seem to be more common now than in the past.

Guest exuser1

I can recall many years ago in Medal News when the Home Guard list was published the comment was how long before the price of the Defence went up as now collectors would want one to go with there trios/ pairs if confirmed recipient had served WW2 in the Home Guard and also now how many groups would acquire a Defence Medal in dealers lists .

I can recall many years ago in Medal News when the Home Guard list was published the comment was how long before the price of the Defence went up as now collectors would want one to go with there trios/ pairs if confirmed recipient had served WW2 in the Home Guard and also now how many groups would acquire a Defence Medal in dealers lists .

Anyone advise me with regards to the Home Guard List? What does it contain? The reason I ask is that my father was too young for WW2 service and I asked him what he got. His response was that the certificates ran out before he got his. No mention of a medal although he was in the HG for most of the war. I am just wondering if the HG list is like the Army List, with names of officers only. Sorry to go on to WW2 but it will only be a oneliner reply and then back on topic.

Guest exuser1

Anyone advise me with regards to the Home Guard List? What does it contain? The reason I ask is that my father was too young for WW2 service and I asked him what he got. His response was that the certificates ran out before he got his. No mention of a medal although he was in the HG for most of the war. I am just wondering if the HG list is like the Army List, with names of officers only. Sorry to go on to WW2 but it will only be a oneliner reply and then back on topic.

As I recall around the time the POW list for WW2 was released the one for returned POWs with debriefing details the PRO also released details of the HG rosters and I understand entitlement to Defence Medal .