Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Pompey Pals' Memorial Project

keithjk

Plans are progressing well to erect a memorial to the ‘Pompey Pals’ (14th & 15th Hants). The memorial would be in the vicinity of Fratton Park, and it is hoped that it will be there by 4th August next year.

The Memorial Project is having its official launch at the WW1 Remembrance Centre at Fort Widley on 24th July 2013. Local radio and TV will hopefully be there, as well as representatives from Portsmouth FC and the Supporters’ Club.

If you require any further information, please pm me

Keith

Give it another year or so and a Portsmouth FC Memorial Project will probably be underway.

Seriously, though - excellent idea. Are the PWRR involved at all? The reason I ask is that the local WFA group (about 15 years ago) when I was Chairman enquired about the possibility and the Royal Hampshires (as was) were not frightfully forthcoming. We didn't press it, though.

What sort of format will the memorial take, do you think? Plaque?

Anyway, PM sent.

No PWRR involvement as yet Steve. I was the one, 15 years ago, who first suggested a memorial to the Hampshire Regiment, and I sadly remember the lack of interest.

I think it is planned to have something rather more substantial than a plaque. A local stonemason has kindly offered to undertake any work required at a very acceptable cost.

Keith

Sounds good.

I might add, although I'm sure it's common knowledge, that the original grave marker for Lt hewitt, VC (15th Hants) is in the church at Hursley, near Winchester.

I have to admit that I personally was not aware of that Steve. Most remiss of me !! Still, an excuse for another day out.

Keith

Seriously, though - excellent idea. Are the PWRR involved at all? The reason I ask is that the local WFA group (about 15 years ago) when I was Chairman enquired about the possibility and the Royal Hampshires (as was) were not frightfully forthcoming. We didn't press it, though.

Keith,

Fifteen years is a long time ago. Times change and the current Trustees and Secretary of the Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum are very approachable and pro-active. I'm sure that they will be interested in this proposal. Out of interest is there any historical link between 14th / 15th Hants and Portsmouth Football Club? You also need to have a chat with the Secretary in terms of their plans for the centenary as they may be in a position to assist you.

You will no doubt be aware that strictly speaking the proposed memorial should encompass the 16th (Reserve) Battalion as well who acted as a feeder battalion, In addition, 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Portsmouth) were amalgamated in September 1917 with dismounted 1/1st Hampshire Yeomanry at which point they became the 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battalion and effectively were no longer the 'Pompey Pals', much to the annoyance of the few 'originals' left including Monty Moore V.C. if his letters at the IWM are anything to go by.

Please can you send me a PM with your contact details and I will ask the Secretary to get in touch with you.

Marc

Keith,

One other thought. Have you got Portsmouth City Council and the Lord Mayor, Councillor Lynne Stagg on board with this idea? I only mention this as the Portsmouth Battalions were locally raised by the Mayor of Portsmouth under War Office Authority.

Marc

post-52-0-18835800-1372970422_thumb.jpg

Marc, the driving force behind the project is the Pompey Supporters' Trust. So they and the club are fully involved, as is the Council. The local MP has also visited the Remembrance Centre.

We are fully aware of the 'shuffling' of the 15th Battalion, but obviously any further information from your good self would be welcomed. I will pm you my email address.

Keith

I have an interest in the 41st Division (mainly with the 11/RWK and 21/KRRC) and some time ago I made notes (on paper) of all 15th Hants killed on 15/9/916 (their first big battle). For many years in The Times (1919-1929) there was an In Memoriam notice for the 8 15/Hants officers (named) and all who died 'in the attack and capture of Flers'.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Give it another year or so and a Portsmouth FC Memorial Project will probably be underway.

LOL