Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Regiment

Jim Hastings

Good day all, I am looking into a relative and another man from 1st East Surreys and was wondering if any forum pal has the WD entries for November 1914 at all? The WD is online, but the November entries are missing. Not sure but maybe the Nov entries have been lost from the period, if any East Surreys expert knows? I'm especially interested in then names of any officers who joined the Bn during the month and the dates they joined. Many thanks for any time and effort on my behalf

Good day all, I am looking into a relative and another man from 1st East Surreys and was wondering if any forum pal has the WD entries for November 1914 at all? The WD is online, but the November entries are missing. Not sure but maybe the Nov entries have been lost from the period, if any East Surreys expert knows? I'm especially interested in then names of any officers who joined the Bn during the month and the dates they joined. Many thanks for any time and effort on my behalf

Hello Jim,

I got my information here:

http://qrrarchive.we...menu1.aspx?li=1

I'm assuming that's where you are looking.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

hi jim

from the history of the east surrey regiment

3rd november 3 officers and 35 other ranks no names given

4th november capt pc wynter and 2 other officers and 54 other ranks arrived

rob

Thanks Tom and Rob, I've been using the online Surreys site thanks Tom but November is missing. I thought I'd get the entire WD from the NA but in 1998 it was reported that the WD from Aug 1914 - Aug 1915 was now missing!!! My man may have been one of the November 3rd lot, so thanks Rob. What history is it that you have by the way? May invest .... All the very best, Jim

its called the history of the east surrey regiment

by colonel hw pearse and brigadier general h s sloman

printed 1922 got it off ebay a while ago seen others on there since.

i read on a bit and it mentioned a casulty 2nd lieut h.housecroft as being with the battalion less than a month

all the best

rob

Cheers Rob, I'll look out for it. Take it you know about Paul McCues book about 13th East Surreys?