Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Gavan age 15 from Poyntzpass Co Armagh

ARMAGH

Looking Help I am researching 5189 Sapper Charles Gavan Royal Engineers, date of death 20/4/1916 age 15 Colchester Cemetery. Charles lived in Poyntzpass Co Armagh with his parents John & Christina Gavan he enlisted in Glasgow, what was he doing in Glasgow at that age? there was an elder brother Patrick who was not on the Armagh 1911 census, he may have went to Scotland, a guess!!

In the Great War 1914-18

Charles correct name, John typo error

Ballymore is correct, Ballmore typo error

Thank you Joe

There is a Charles Gavin age 13 years on scotlandspeople. Could this be him? Staying in Old/west kilpatrick

Dunbarton. Unfortunately cant view any further at the moment as on ipad and need to use the laptop

To view image. Will get back later.

I would also hazard a guess that he was in the Glasgow area for work, possibly on the

Clyde. I also had relatives back and forth from Northern Ireland and I believe there was a ferry

From Govan.

Regards

Jane

Joe

Not sure if we have the right boy. This chap is living in Clydebank with his family, cant see a

Patrick though. His dad is also Charles and says he was born in Donegal.

Regards

Jane

Joe

Not sure if we have the right boy. This chap is living in Clydebank with his family, cant see a

Patrick though. His dad is also Charles and says he was born in Donegal.

Regards

Jane

Hello Jane My ,man is on the Armagh census. I presume the census was held on the same day in the UK.

In the 1911 census Charles Gavan age 11 is living with his parents John age 58 born Plate layer, Christina age 48 Brothers James age 21 agricultural Labourer, Vincent age15 agricultural labourer, Eugene age 13,,sisters Mary age 8,Isabella age 5, Christina age 3 all the family are born in Co Armagh except John (the father) born in Co Monaghan. Living at No 4 Acton Poyntzpass. Religion RC

In the 1901 Census Charles Gavan age baby is living with his parents John age 50 Christina age 38 Brothers Patrick

27,Francis 18,,John Vincent 5,Felix Eugene 3 Sister Katie 16

At No 13 Acton Poyntzpass Co Armagh

Many thanks

Joe

Hi Joe

Sorry Joe Cant find anyone with the surname Gavan on the 1911 census. Out of interest

Do you know where in Glasgow Charles enlisted.

Jane x

Hello Jane

The UK Soldiers died just says enlistment location Glasgow, I can't find any more serving/pension details.

Gavan, Charles

Cemetery: Colchester Cemetery Country: England Area: Essex

Unit: 1st/3rd Lowland Field Coy. Royal Engineers. Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details: Died of phthisis 20th April 1916. Age 15. Son of John and Christina Gavan of Acton Poyntzpass Co. Armagh. P. 6. 43.

Phthisis is a form of TB

Name: Charles Reynolds Gavan Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1901 Registration district: Newry Birth Country: Ireland Volume: 1 Page: 751 FHL Film Number: 101068

Thanks for your help

Joe

www.armaghwarmemorial.com