Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thousand Day Men

Guest bonza

Something I've just stumbled across.

During September 1917 many Australian Regional newspapers called for Volunteers to enlist specifically to allow one of the 1914 men, who by that time had served over 1,000 days, to return home.

Lists of eligible veterans were published, and recruits invited to nominate the one they would relieve.

The scheme was apparently not implemented, as none of the originals was actually discharged, as appeared to be the intention. In fact it was well into 1918, and only after considerable "meddling" by Prime Minister Billy Hughes, that some of these eligibles, whose numbers were drastically reduced at 3rd Ypres, were granted "1914 Leave to Australia".

Even after more than 3 years at the other side of the world, it seems that pressure was bought on these men to stay on. At that stage, the end of the war was by no means predictable, and there appears to be an insinuation that they were letting down their mates.

My Grandfather was given his 1914 leave at the beginning of October, 1918. He was in London at war's end and boarded ship at the start of December, reaching Australia on 27th January, 1919. I would imagine he was one of the first lucky ones to return.

I had not heard of this 'replacement scheme' as it obviously never got off the ground. I wonder how many of the 1914 men would have refused to go, deciding instead to stick it out with their mates until the end?

Tim L.