Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary - 10th Lancashire Fusiliers 1918?

JefR

If anyone a copy, I'd really like to see the 10th Lancs Fusiliers war diary for April, May, & June 1918.

I'm trying to add some time and place detail to Frederick Hodges' story in his excellent book "Men of 18 in 1918" for an article I'm writing about my Dad.

Although my Dad was transferred from the Kings Liverpool to the 7th Norfolks and Hodges from the Bedfordshires to the 10th LF on arrival in France, they seem to have followed very similar paths on almost the exact same time schedule.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, their training programmes were almost identical, although on opposite sides of the country, but what really intrigues me is that after shipping to France on consecutive days, 4th & 5th April 1918, they seem to have virtually followed in each others footsteps until they reached the front just north of Albert some time later. Indeed, if I was Dan Brown I'd be able to weave a whole bestseller out of the fact that they could have bumped into each other in the bathhouse at Toutencourt on April 12th!

I'd just like to see if there might have been any other "Close Encounters"!

Fingers crossed

Jef

Jef

It would appear that the diaries have not yet been digitised. The book on the Lancashire fusiliers includes an excellent summary of where the battalions were throughout the war so if you could get hold of a copy (one in Rochdale Reference Library)then your questions would be answered. An alternative source is to contact the Lancahire Fusiliers Museum - http://www.fusiliermuseum.com/ as they may be able to assist you for a donation. I know a member has a opy of the book but Forum Rules on copyright probably prevent so many months being copied.

Bernard

Here's an extract from the Lancs Fus 'calendar of moves' for the 10th Bn between April & July 1918 that may assist for now?

Dave

post-357-0-92244000-1372454642_thumb.jpg

Dave

Many thanks for your help - the "calendar of moves" extract takes me a step forward and gives me all I need to know for now.

Bernard

Thanks for taking the time to offer assistance, I've noted the reference in case I need it in the future.

Best regards to you both

Jef