Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Welsh at Mametz Wood 10 July 1916

Cymro

I would like to share with the pals one of the more historically important items in my collection. I only research and collect items to Welsh men and Regiments so to have found a comprehensive set of field messages and orders to a Welsh unit (in this case the 15th RWF) for the most important day of the Mametz Wood battle, the battle which defined Welsh participation in the Great War, is quite remarkable.

The collection of field messages and signals gives a fragmented picture of the fighting on 10th July 1916 at Mametz Wood seen through the eyes of the signals officer of the 15th RWF. The first signal in the collection (which is mounted in a in an old paper file marked 15th RWF, Queen's Nullah 10th July 1916) was sent at 0150 a.m and the last signal at 6pm. The mixture of scrawled notes and messages and signals forms are either written by or sent to some of the most important figures in the battle including General Pryce Davies GOC 113 Bde, Lt Col Pryce, GSO 1 38 Div, Lt Col Bell, 15 RWF, Lt Col Carden and Flower (both KIA) and Lt Col Gosset. That someone recognised the significance of the battle and retained all the messages (which are naturally in poor condition, although 95% legible), is amazing.

The IWM recognised the significance of the collection and I got involved in a bidding war with them at the auction. I make no apology for this, as the collection is now back in Wales where it belongs. I am anxious however that they be available for research purposes. Chris, if you're reading this, I'd be grateful if you could advise me on getting these on the Long Long Trail if you think it is appropriate. The messages give details of the battle which may otherwise have been lost - for example the codenames of the units, personalities and locations (in this case all beginning with J - Jackdaw, Joist, Jam etc...). I include a couple of examples of the messages in the following posts.... I hope you enjoy them

Jonathan

post-23-1095106778.jpg

JONATHAN

Thanks for this.It never ceases to amaise me that paper lasts so long and well.Stone crumbles,artifacts are discarded but paper,given a bit of luck,goes on for ever.

You MUST keep this collection safe.Might I suggest that the NATIONAL ARCHIVES of WALES would be a good place to deposite them.If such a place exists,It must do.Your pieces of paper are,truely priceless,and you must ensure that they are preserved.

Thankyou for sharing them with us.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Jonathan

Marvellous! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Copies of the messages are now inside my copy of 'A History of the 38th (Welsh) Division'.

I hope that you find somewhere appropriate in Wales to deposit them and the rest of the collection.

Thanks again

Gareth

Jonathan

Thank you for posting these records on the Forum. It's excellent that you have managed to keep them in Wales. As you probably know the Welsh National Library and Archives are in Aberystwyth.

Thank you for sharing these records, Jonathan. It is profoundly affecting to read with such visual clarity about the events at Mametz.

Gwyn

Dear John, Gareth, Myrtle and Gwyn,

Many thanks for your comments. I will be contacting Aberystwyth about the records. I'm only a custodian of an important historical record. Anyone who's doing research on the Mametz battle or is interested in the personalities involved, please dont hesitate to get in touch. Also, as the majority of the signals were sent by Lts Harding and Steer, does anyone have any information on these? Other dramatis personae include Lt H U Williams and Lt Cooper - all either 15th RWF or 38 Div Staff. I'd love to hear from anyone with additional information on these officers.

Regards

Jonathan