Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters books?

superblue

Hi everyone.

I took some very valuable advice recently and started picking up books (I seem to be spending more on them than medals)! I'm just wondering if the Sherwoods experts can tell me which battalions they are available?

I have reprints to the 1st, 2nd, 8th, and 10th but discounting 3rd and 4th (reserve) I have yet to see anything to the 5th, 6th, 7th or 9th. Are there any out there for these other battalions?

Shane

There are old histories for 5th, the 1/7th, 2/7th (in a single volume); the 1/8th and 2/8th; a modern 9th history written by Fourm member, John Steven Morse; a single volume 10th history by Cliff Housely, and ongoing multi-volume history of the 10th by Wayne Osborne; and for the 11th is 'The Men from the Greenwood', available on-line these days. I'm pretty sure that there is a history for the 12th (co-written by Cliff Housely) but I don't have that; and 'The Blast of War' by Maurice Bacon and David Langley covers the 15th battalion.

There are histories of each of those battalions, but I haven't got access to all of my stuff right now so can't recall exact details of the histories of the 5th and 7th I'm embarrassed to say.

'A History of the 6th Battalion the Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918'. Capt. W. D. Jamieson ed. Cliff Housley. Miliquest.

'9th Service Battalion The Sherwood Foresters'. John Stephen Morse. Tommies Guides. Steve is a forum member who would love to flog you a copy!

There's also 'Men from the Greenwood' on the 11th battalion which is available free on the net if you google it.

Oh yeah - David Langley's 'The Blast of War' on the 15th. He's another forum pal under the pseudonym of Grumpy.

Thanks chaps,

Plenty still to hunt for then.

I must confess I did see a copy of 1/5th on eBay a few months back, stuck it on my watch list and never actually bid. Haven't seen a single copy since and I'm still kicking myself.

The info in some of these books is greatly rewarding. I recently discovered one of my 'simple pairs' chaps turned out to be one of only 25 men (1 Officer, 24 OR) to make it to the German lines and back in one piece on 1/7/1916 by simply searching his name in the index! An attack which left his battalion suffering 80% casualties.

Shane

Also: 2/5th Bn by W G Hall; C Company 2/5th Bn by Littleboy; 2/6th Bn; 10th Bn by Hoyte; 16th (Chatsworth Rifles) Bn by Truscott;

Shane, the 2/6th is by G.J.Edmunds (1960) covering the Irish troubles in 1916, there are a few other obscure ones that are very hard to find and took me over 40 years to find. Some although not Battalion histories are the local publications which are very handy for research The "Blackwell Colliery Book" is worth having giving names and pictures of many Sherwood Foresters also "Brave Sons of Shirebrook", "Pinxton Hero's" etc. Bronno.

there is a history for the 12th (co-written by Cliff Housely) but I don't have that;

Someone forgot to edit the spellings and some of the grammar in that

Martin

There are histories of each of those battalions, but I haven't got access to all of my stuff right now so can't recall exact details of the histories of the 5th and 7th I'm embarrassed to say.

'9th Service Battalion The Sherwood Foresters'. John Stephen Morse. Tommies Guides. Steve is a forum member who would love to flog you a copy!

He would even sign it for a small fee :D PM me if you would like a copy Steve M

Signed copies of books are often more valuable due to their rarity.

In the case of the book on the 9th battalion it's the unsigned ones that are rare.....

Thanks gents.

I've googled most of these and only two have popped up for sale, 1 original and quite pricey.

The other to the 9th Btn.........

Steve, I've sent you a PM about this one, be kind, ha ha. :-)

Shane