Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland War Memorials - Rothbury & Lowick

bickerton16/625

Folks, I am currently working on two War Memorial projects ahead of the centenary exploring the lives and service of those names on the war memorials in the Northumberland villages of Rothbury where I live and Lowick where I went to primary school and where my mother was born. The intention is to prepare a package of material that can be used in the local schools as part of their national curriculum studies and for local groups and interested individuals, descendants etc. The Rothbury project is linked to neighbouring Thropton and Lowick to its smaller neighbour Bowsden, where I grew up. Incidentally, The Lowick Memorial is quite well know and is featured in Neil Oliver's Not Forgotten book as having two memorials - the first was commissioned by General Sitwell and was so disliked by the villagers that he was forced to move it out of the village and a replacement was erected - both monuments survive. I have pulled together a considerable amount of information on the majority of individuals and many of these are fascinating and tragic stories which deserved to be remembered and told. If there is anyone out there who is interested in this project, I am more than happy to share my researches and would welcome any information, mementoes, photos etc. which will contribute to the project to ensure that the men who left their Northumbrian homeland never to return are remembered as they should be. Apologies for the cramped text, my return key has stopped working!

The new CWGC Debt of Honour can be searched simply by location (and selecting First and/or Second World War as appropriate.

You can then Click on the Name Field to sort alphabetically then Export Data to an Excel Worksheet. After resizing the columns you can then use the Additioanl Information Field to strip out those that are Rothbury Streets, or otherwise, out of your requirements..

That should leave you with these:-

ATKINSON WILLIAM JAMES W J

AVERY REGINALD GEORGE R G

BROWN GEORGE JAMES G J

BROWN ROBERT R

CLARK HENRY GEORGE H G

DAVISON T

DIXON T W

FENWICKE CLENNELL T P E

FORSTER FRANCIS JOHN F J

GREGORY THOMAS T

GRIEVES GEORGE G

HARVEY WILLIAM JOHN W J

HOBSON WILLIAM HENRY W H

HOOD JAMES FREDERICK J F

HOUNAM ROBERT R

MASON HENRY HORSLEY H H

MASON JOHN J

MAVIN J R

MILBURN J

MURPHY JOSEPH J

MURRAY THOMAS T

PHAUP ERNEST E

RENTON ROBERT WILLIAM R W

RICHARDSON JAMES ROBERT J R

RICHARDSON WILLIAM W

RIDDLE AUBREY STANLEY A S

ROGERSON R

RUTLEDGE THOMAS T

TATE THOMAS T

TAYLOR WILLIAM ROBSON W R

TROTTER THOMAS MURRAY T M

WINTRIP JOHN THOMAS J T

You can then do the same with your other location(s) and WW2.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, there's some great information here and, as usual, it throws up a whole load of new questions. Many of the names on the list are familiar but others are not as they are not listed on the Rothbury memorial.

The key question is why are they not on the memorial and I guess there are some fascinating stories- maybe relatives didn't agree with the idea or the soldier died of disease and was not included (this happened with Thomas Hall Bruce at Lowick - now rectified). Has anyone experience of other reasons?

Conversely, there are names on the memorial not listed here. All the more to look into!

I will post pictures of all of the memorials in question as soon as I can dig them out

Thanks again!