Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Felix Hall Camp

Guest rinky

Researching my Grandfather 'Cyril G Holgate' we have his misconduct record, which mentions 'Felix Hall Camp, Kelvedon'.

12/8/17 Conduct prejudice of good order military discipline i.e shirking a fatigue witness Cpr Geary.

6/9/17 Irregular Conduct on Parade, witness R.S.M Lee

If anyone has information about this Camp, then this would help us piece together what he was going through.

Rinky,

Will be doing some research in the Essex Records office in the next few days, i will have a look and see if i can find anything on this camp.

Andy

I can't help with details on the camp. Presumably though it was in or near the grounds or on the farm of the house known as Felix Hall.

http://www.peterwestern.f9.co.uk/felixhall.html

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Rinky,

Have checked the Essex Records Office and they do not seem to have any knowledge of this place but gave me a few things to check up on which might help.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Rinky,

Have found a little re Felix Hall during the Great War but not as a camp, it appears it was the private residence of a Major Wrightson. In June 1917 The Essex Motor Volunteer Corps had a camp there.

If you e mail me off forum i will get the articles i have found to you.

Andy

Hi Roger,

The article i have discovered re Felix Hall says this of the estate:

Felix Hall is one of the oldest mansions in East Anglia, having belonged previous to the Norman Conquest to one "Gademund". After passing through the successive hands of Sir John de Bohan, Sir David Owen and others, it was finally purchased in 1700 by the then Loed Besters in whose family it remained until 1913 when it passed into the Wrightson family, the present owner being that gallant officer, Major Wrightson, who married a Miss Western.

Andy