Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hærens Tøjhus Bayonet.

joanne.rees1

When clearing her fathers house, my sister in law found a Haerens Tojhus 1889 model bayonet. I believe it was for a Krag rifle. I wonder if any one can give me more information on it. Other markings on its hilt are "19 B 199" which has a line scored through it, then below it is "32 B 753". On the other side is what could be a crown with the number 12 under it at the blade end of the hilt, and at the other end "81454".

It is a Danish bayonet which was made for the Krag-Jorgensen rifle, which was their standard service rifle. Does the bayonet look like the one shown below.?

Haerens Tojhus will be the manufacturer, who was located in Copenhagen. The markings which include the B are indicating the various army units / battalions.

The crowned number is an inspection mark, while the longer 5 digit number is the weapon serial number. They are a nice bayonet but technically not GW issue.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-54918800-1371892935_thumb.j

And I think this is a picture of it in service with (I think) Danish troops. Although the rifles are certainly Krag's - the bayonets here seem to have only one handle rivet (unless it is a flaw in the print?)

post-14525-0-44845300-1371916580_thumb.j

THanks to ShippingSteel for the information. Yes the bayonet is identical to your photo, although the scabbard/sheath has got the leather fob with it. Why do you say not strictly GW issue ? As I thought they were used from the late 1800s until the 1920s. Also thanks to 4thGordons for the fascinating poto.

. Why do you say not strictly GW issue ? As I thought they were used from the late 1800s until the 1920s.

I think S>S means not issued to a combatant nation in the Great War. It is certainly a great was PERIOD bayonet.

Chris

Hi 4th Gordons,

Nice photo. However, I think you will find the soldiers are carrying Norwegian Krags fitted with the Norwegian Model 1894 bayonet.

Regards,

Michael H.

Hi 4th Gordons,

Nice photo. However, I think you will find the soldiers are carrying Norwegian Krags fitted with the Norwegian Model 1894 bayonet.

Regards,

Michael H.

Ahhhh....{blush}....oooops. That would explain the single rivet wouldn't it. Thanks. I am not sure how I picked up this photo and know little about it. I believe it is postmarked so perhaps I should check!

And I think this is a picture of it in service with (I think) Danish troops. Although the rifles are certainly Krag's - the bayonets here seem to have only one handle rivet.

Yes Chris, that weaponry is certainly Norwegian, going on my understanding of their particular Krag bayonets. Easy enough mistake to make (on this forum at least.!) :thumbsup:

They are also a nice bayonet, with notable similarities in design with the US M1905 variant, which likewise also drew heavily on the earlier bayonet for the US Krag rifle.

I have one of the scarcer Norwegian M1916 versions in my collection. They are longer and incorporate the false edge on the blade, very much like the US M1905 does.

I picked it up because it was definitely PERIOD but am still not exactly sure how I'm going to squeeze it into the GW collection. Maybe need to do some more research.!

Cheers, S>S