Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archaeology Gallipoli

Skipman

An interesting enough website, though it does say

" The invasion began on April 25, 1915, with two offensives: a British landing at the southern end of Gallipoli (known as Helles), and an ANZAC landing on the Aegean coast to the north, where they were to fight across the peninsula and cut off Ottoman supply routes and reinforcements. The ANZACs stormed the beach and moved up the ridges, supported by shelling from warships, and dug into foxholes that were then connected to form the first trench line. The Ottomans held their ground, even as they ran out of ammunition and both sides suffered heavy, near-total casualties. "

Letter from Turkey

Mike

Mike that's a great link for me – many thanks

Why?

Because last year on The Gallipoli Association's Walking Tour with Steve (Krithia) we had a look at the well and troughs near Lala Baba. We were particularly interested to see an inscription on an ancient Greek sarcophagus which had been re-cycled as part of the water trough system.

I now see from the article for which you gave the link, that this same Greek inscription was documented during the campaign

see p.5 – quote “during the battle, George Augustus Auden, father of W.H. Auden, found a sarcophagus and two Greek inscriptions, and helped identify the Greek city of Alopekonnesos during an August offensive to the north.”

C A Hutton published details of Auden's find in The Annual of the British School at Athens Vol.21

quote:

These inscriptions were copied by Captain G A Auden RAMC near the Salt Lake, Suvla Bay, in 1915, and the transcripts handed over by him to Commander D G Hogarth RNVR, with the notes which are printed between inverted commas. Captain Auden writes

'They (the inscriptions) have a good deal of personal interest to me, for the wells, by which they were placed, came in for a good deal of daily shelling, and it was only safe to linger over them in the very early morning or after sunset.'”

No.1 “On a sarcophagus used as a trough near the Salt Lake. The inscription is a good deal weathered.” The inscription is engraved on a panel flanked on either side by a rough volute or vine-tendril.....

Then the article gives a diagram with the lettering as it appears on the sarcophagus and as it would have appeared if written in script form.

The second line of the inscription contains the two words “MAPKΩ ANΔPI” which you should be able to make out in the third photograph below.

If anyone already has the full article from Jstor

http://www.jstor.org...=21102134764613

then it would be fascinating to read the rest.

9a36db43-62e4-4c90-9f1a-a095851b2e11_zpsf7514b9d.jpg

63d942b7-f72a-4ebe-ab20-44e0f0452dca_zps89a5063b.jpg

f75abcf1-0f99-429e-b83c-c3b0c8c942cb_zps5e7b498f.jpg

regards

Michael

Michael, I must admit when I posted this,I thought that that there was not really a lot new in it, and that it might be of slight interest, to some. It just goes to show, that however little use you think an article might be, just post it. Delighted it was of use, and I will keep posting anything I find relating to The Great War. :thumbsup:

Mike

Lala baba is a great site to visit, and this well is interesting as it almost certainly was used during the 1915 campaign, as it was probably many centuries before. I have come across roman pottery at Lone Pine on several occasions and in the French sector there are many shards of amphoras lying around, an indication to the Peninsula's rich historical past.

The article in The Annual of the British School at Athens, Vol.21 informs that the “inscriptions belong to a class very common in Asia Minor from the end of the first century A.D., in which τυμβωρυχia (grave robbing) is treated as a civil offence, punishable by a fine, to be paid either to the Roman Government as in No.1 (the inscription seen above) or to the city as in No.2. The amount of the fine varies greatly (from 200-20,000 denarii); the sum here mentioned in both cases, 1,500 denarii, no doubt represents the usual penalty for the district at that period (second century A.D.).”

Apparently the second inscription is perhaps the more interesting, as it implies that the owner, Julius Italus, prepared the sarcophagus in his own life time and “obviously wished to draw attention to the fact that he was not on friendly terms with his children and relations” whom he formally excludes from the right of burial in his sarcophagus.

Julius Italus also mentions two cities, Koila and Alopekonnesos, and it is presumed that he owned property in these places and therefore entrusted them with the protection of his sarcophagus. Koila is thought to be either Kilia (Kilya Koyu?) or Kilitbahir, while Alopekonnesos “was situated on the western coast of the (Gallipoli) peninsula rather higher up than Suvla Bay, where several of its coins were picked up during the British occupation.”

If I get back to this same well again, then I must keep an eye open for the second fragment and its inscription

regards

Michael

A fascinating thread.

Does anyone know what Capt Auden's role was at Sulva, or which RAMC unit he served in?

Tunesmith,

I am afraid that I don't have the details which you require, however I can offer the following:

Captain George Augustus Auden RAMC was no less an interesting character than his poet son.

Another son, Dr. John Auden, wrote of his family's time, beginning at York;

“We had a coachman who did not live in, as well as a cook and two maids who slept in the attic... … My father's interests went beyond medicine, especially to archaeology, the Classics, and Icelandic sagas... … He edited the handbook to York for the 1907 meeting there of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. We had the impression in later years that our mother slightly disapproved of his proficiency in gynaecology.* At any rate, in 1908 he gave up general practice in York and became the first School Medical Officer in Birmingham, on a modest salary. … On the outbreak of war my father joined the RAMC and our Solihull house was sold. He was in Gallipoli, Egypt and France for four years,... … “

[* Is this an Edwardian euphemism?]

His (G. A. Auden's) obit. in the BMJ gives his qualifications as; MD, Ph D, FRCP, DPH

He was born on 27 August 1872, the son of the Rev John Auden of Burton-on-Trent

Qualified in 1896, he graduated MB, B.Chir, in the following year, proceeding on to the MD in 1900 and took the MRCP in 1909 and the DPH in 1910.

For many years he was lecturer in public health in the University of Birmingham, and in 1940, some years after his retirement from the post of school medical officer, he was appointed professor of public health.

Hi Michael

I received your PM and after a quick search on my database can advise that G A Auden is listed in the 1915 Army List as a lieutenant for the 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance. He is also on a nominal roll for the 1/2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance - listed there at the rank of Captain.

I'm a bit busy over the next couple of days too look deeper but if I find any other information I'll post again.

Regards

Barbara

Edited by BJay

for those interested I can provide two items on the subject : (1) "Archaeology in Gallipoli in 1915", a paper by Prof Chris Mackie (also part of the survey team that has been coming here now for 3 years) and (2) a summary (english) of Prof.Julia Tzvetkova's book "History of the thracian Chersonese". Please e-mail me at eric(at)gallipoli(dot)com(dot)tr

Quote from post No.2: “C A Hutton published details of Auden's find in The Annual of the British School at Athens Vol.21

quote: “These inscriptions were copied by Captain G A Auden RAMC near the Salt Lake, Suvla Bay, in 1915, and the transcripts handed over by him to Commander D G Hogarth RNVR, with the notes which are printed between inverted commas.””

The Third Man - Commander D G Hogarth RNVR

David George Hogarth (1862-1927) was an orientalist, archaeologist and scholar, and was Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum Oxford from 1908.

Only nominally a naval man, he joined the NID in 1915. This must have been quite late that year, as Chasseaud & Doyle in their 'Grasping Gallipoli' have a paper by him being read at the RGS on the day after the landings (26th April 1915). [Notably, in his conclusion, Hogarth said “No general, if he had a choice, would land a considerable force upon it (the Gallipoli peninsula) at any spot below the narrows.”] Also in April 1915, TEL wrote to him in London, about the maps of Turkey available in Cairo.

It is not clear to me exactly what Hogarth was doing on Gallipoli, but he may have been involved in the interrogation of Turkish prisoners.

In November 1915 he wrote the preface and contributed the chapter on Turkey, for The Balkans: A History of Bulgaria—Serbia—Greece—Rumania—Turkey, where he said “As for the Osmanli's courage as a fighting man, that has often been exemplified, and never better than in the Gallipoli peninsula. It is admitted, the European and Anatolian Osmanlis yield little one to the other in this virtue; but the palm, if awarded at all, must be given to the levies from northern and central Asia Minor.”

Following Gallipoli, from 1916 his talents were employed as Director of the Arab Bureau, in Cairo; work which brought him into contact with both Aaronsohn (of the Nili spy ring) and, once more, with T E Lawrence.

The latter was greatly impressed by Hogarth, writing of him in Seven Pillars -

“... Mentor to us all was Hogarth, our father confessor and adviser, who brought us the parallels and lessons of history, and moderation, and courage. To the outsider he was peacemaker (I was all claws and teeth, and had a devil), and made us favoured and listened to, for his weighty judgement. He had a delicate sense of value, and would present clearly to us the forces hidden behind the lousy rags and festering skins which he knew as Arabs. Hogarth was our referee, and our untiring historian, who gave us his great knowledge and careful wisdom even in the smallest things, because we believed in what we were making.”

In 1919 in London, Hogarth was still involved in the discussions regarding the future of the newly conquered middle-east territories.

If anyone can expand or correct the above, then please do so

regards

Michael

Thanks Michael and Mike for some terrific information and images. Certainly another part of this areas history that goes back so far. Most interesting!

Makes one want to get there ASAP!!

Cheers

Ian

A bit more on Capt Auden....

He joined the 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance as a new officer in September 1914, when the unit were in training at Churn Downs.

The unit history states "Capt Anden went to hospital and was classified "Class B"". This was when the unit was in Egypt 1916. I cannot find a Capt Anden mentioned in the nominal roll so this could a printing error and it should read 'Capt Auden'?? The nominal roll states he served with this unit in England, Egypt and Gallipoli - so if he was in France, as stated in the write up above, then it is possible that he left the 2nd SMMBFA at that time and was transferred to another medical unit.

I've not come across him mentioned as serving with another unit as yet, but have made a note to keep a look out.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Barbara

Thanks for that further info Barbara.

Your confirmation that Auden went to Egypt after Suvla is useful as I am having difficulty placing Hogarth on Gallipoli. If Auden indeed handed over” his transcripts to Hogarth, then that may well have taken place at a meeting in Egypt, rather that at Suvla.

D. G. Hogarth was commissioned a Tempy. Lieutenant Commander RNVR on 25th October 1915, “for special service under the D.I.D.” The advice from Horatio2 is that D.I.D. was almost certainly the Director Intelligence Division.

The record then goes on to say “To go abroad. Apparently the Balkans.”

If the Balkans meant Gallipoli, then he could not have arrived there before mid-November

This unclear and incomplete record is probably no more than one should expect from the shadowy Intelligence Division. We know from several sources however that Hogarth was in Egypt from 1916.

Hogarth received the Order of the Nile (3rd class) from the Sultan in June 1917

he became a Tempy. Acting Commander 23 July 1917

and Tempy. Commander and C.M.G. 1 January 1918

early 1919 he attended the Paris peace conference and demobilized 30 June 1919

received the Order of Al Nahda (2nd class) from the King of the Hedjaz 22 January 1920

If anyone comes across a ref to Hogarth being on Gallipoli, then please let us know here

Michael,

This from his entry in the Oxford DNB, which includes other details of his Great War service:

With the outbreak of the First World War, Hogarth's knowledge of the Arab world and the Ottoman empire was invaluable. Working for the geographical division of naval intelligence in London, he made frequent trips to Cairo from late in 1914 as part of a group operating under the auspices of Gilbert Falkingham Clayton, the director of civil and military intelligence in Cairo. The campaign against the Turks was not going well, with the siege of Kut al-Amara and the disaster at Gallipoli. Mesopotamia technically came under the auspices of the India Office, but moves were afoot to place Arab affairs under the control of Cairo. In 1915 William Reginald (Blinker) Hall, director of the intelligence division, decided to develop operations in the Middle East through the formation of the Arab Bureau. Hogarth and Hall, whose grandfather the Revd Henry Thomas Arnfield of Leeds had been a close friend of Hogarth's father, discussed matters. Hogarth travelled to Athens, meeting Compton Mackenzie at the British School (in July 1915), and then to Cairo. In a letter home to his mother (9 August 1915) from Cairo he indicated that his role was that of an expert on Turkey, and that part of his function was to interrogate Turkish prisoners. Hogarth returned to London, and then, holding (from October 1915) the rank of lieutenant-commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, travelled back for November and December to Cairo, where he joined C. L. Woolley and Lawrence. The team was supplemented in late November 1915 by the Arabist, and close friend of Hogarth's sister Janet, Gertrude Bell, who was personally briefed by Hall.

seaJane

A small point on the DNB entry: If Compton Mackenzie's own account is correct, Hogarth would have had difficulty meeting Compton Mackenzie in Athens in July as Mackenzie doing Naval intelligence work at GHQ MEF at Kephalo island at the time, occasionally going to the other bases such as Tenedos . He was sent to Athens on 12th August, sailing on the Imogen that night heading for some rest in Athens...the last line in his book Gallipoli Memories is "...I'm feeling like death. But I'm going to see Athens first."

Hi Michael

The field ambulance left Gallipoli on 13th December 1915. They went to Mudros, and after a short stay there went on the transport 'Anchises' to Egypt and spent Christmas Day travelling to Cairo. They were then sent to Mena Camp. I don't have the exact date that Capt Auden left the unit (that's if 'Capt Anden' was Capt Auden) but it looks as if it was very early in 1916.

I haven't digested all the above but Cairo looks to be a place they both went to!

Barbara

SeaJane,

Many thanks for your info from the DNB.

It's particularly interesting to see that Hogarth was involved in the eastern Mediterranean as early as 1914, well before he became officially a commissioned member of naval intelligence.

I agree with Martin that Compton Mackenzie's recollection contradicts the record of a meeting with Hogarth in Athens in July, but such a meeting could easily have happened later the next month.

Barabara,

Thanks for your further details, which indeed reinforce the suggestion that Auden and Hogarth met in Egypt and not on Gallipoli.

Regards

Michael

Mike has very kindly sent me this link

http://www.stanford.edu/group/auden/cgi-bin/auden/individual.php?pid=I1&ged=auden-bicknell.ged

which has a good photograph of Dr G A Auden and his sons, taken about 1917

fd201a43-6e39-44fe-abea-1a8599ed9141_zps0da3e9c7.jpg

I believe that the sons are L to R;

Wystan Hugh Auden, born 21st February 1907, poet and writer

Dr. John Bicknell Auden, geologist and mountaineer

Bernard Auden, born 1900, farmer

There is another photograph of Dr Auden RAMC which appears in 'W H Auden – A Tribute' edited by Stephen Spender, published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson in 1974, ISBN 0 297 76884 0. The book credits this photograph to John Auden

9206fb85-8483-493a-a1a5-f27e309b09e6_zps7953212a.jpg