Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trying to locate info via medal info

helen baker

hi my stepfathers first wife's father and brother were in ww1 and received medals .her father was leslie victor Harvey he survived and had 3 medals,which on the side states 1917 l v Harvey 11 r sussex r and I can not find any info on him . however his brother( g4336 r sussex r ) alec Harvey I have found out alittle ,he had 4 medals , 1 = distinguished conduct 2 = mons star 3 = british war medal 4 = victory medal my stepfather is 81 now and rather poorly ,he has always wanted to know more ,but however I try I cant find more information . could anyone help please

I have found the citation for Alec's DCM:

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a counter attack. He rushed forward and killed 2 of the enemy who were mounting a machine gun. Thus enabling his platoon to continue it's advance. His prompt and gallant action did much to make the attack a success.

London Gazette 3rd Sept'18.

thankyou for that ,I have found out abit about alec ,he was buried in ephey wood farm cemetery. as for ancestry.com ,I cant afford to join ,I will ask some friend to see if they use that site. many thanks

I'm not sure which country you are in, tahemi, but in some libraries in the UK you can use their computers for free, and access Ancestry.

Would this be any use for you?

hi unfortunately my stepfather had a stroke last year ,I couldn't be away from home that long ,and I am in cornwall uk .I have some friends who do family research ,I hope one of them uses the site many thanks

I have since discovered via national archives that leslie victor Harvey was corps reg royal sussex regiment private 240271 would anyone be able to use this to help me locate more info many thanks